B&S 287707 Type 0247-01 burning lots of oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Viggen, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Viggen

Viggen LawnSite Member

Asking for help here,

I have a B&S 287707 Type 0247-01 on a lawn tractor that is over 10 years old. Just this past year, it has started to burn oil and smoke a bit. I almost ran out of oil, and it almost ceased up. Since then the oil burning has been even worse.

I would like to know if I can simply replace this motor with another 287707 that does not match the type? I cannot find that original type anywhere. Or is there a motor that would work that supercedes that motor?

Or should I look into having it rebuilt? I think this would be cost prohibitive.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Viggen

Viggen LawnSite Member

the other silly question is this just a blown head gasket or some other simple repair?
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, It's possible the head gasket is blown. A leak-down test would tell.

The superseded replacement engine is model # 285H07 Type # 0026, Briggs also states the following;

Transfer Muffler and/or Spark Arrester Assembly from the original engine if suitable for additional service or add new parts as required
    Transfer Alternator Assembly from original engine to replacement engine.

You could also call this place; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ with either the old or replacement engine numbers and see what they offer.

Your right, It wouldn't be cost effective to try rebuilding the old one.
  4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Often you can tell if a head gasket is blown by removing the valve cover and looking for combustion gases blowing out in the area of the push rods. In your case, I think it would be obvious if that's the problem.
  5. Viggen

Viggen LawnSite Member

I have found some websites that say that the 285H07-0026 is superceded by a 17hp 31B707-0036?

Is this a similar sized motor? I cannot find dimensions and its a larger displacement and Hp.

Any thoughts?
  6. Restrorob

I don't know what sites you were on but my "Dealer Only" site showed the engine number I posted above, Just for giggles I entered the model number you found and got this; An engine matching the model and type you entered was not found in the database.. Hmmm.....

I tried to locate the dimensional drawing for the 285H07 but there is a problem with the site, Will call tomorrow about the problem.
  7. Grouch

Grouch LawnSite Member

Maybe time for a short block provided everything else is still functional. Haven't checked for short block availability at this point.
  8. Restrorob

Briggs does show a short block part # 496050, But...It's not listed in the price manual. Most likely dis-continued from Briggs.
  9. Viggen

Viggen LawnSite Member

I have the dimension drawings on the 285H07, and it is identical to the 31B707, jsut less hp. It also appears to be identical to several of the intek engines ranging from 12hp to 18 hp.

So does that mean pretty much any one with the same dimensions should be fine? I would think that since it was originally 14.5 hp, that I would want that or higher, but not sure if a 17hp would be too much vibration or noise?

Thanks for the help.
  10. Restrorob

If it has the same dimensions and the crank is the same size go for it !!!