B&S 8HP will not run above idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fiber_tek, Apr 5, 2004.

1. fiber_tek

fiber_tek LawnSite Member

I have a TORO 8:32 rear engine rider that will start and run really well for a while, then after 5-10 minutes of mowing, it will start to sputter and will eventually die if I don't take it down to idle. I have taken the air cleaner off and it does the same thing with it removed. The fuel is fresh, no water in it. Anybody have any ideas? It will always restart, but will not run at any speed above idle or just above idle.

Jason

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the gas cap is vented properly

3. fiber_tek

It is well vented.

Jason

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like a pluged fuel system or even a leaky intake gasket. Check your fuel filter and gas flow th the carb.

5. fiber_tek

I am not even sure this thing has a fuel filter. Where would it be? I don't see on in line between the tank and the carb. I think I will take the carb off tonight and see if I can clean it up a bit, inside and out.

Jason

6. fiber_tek

Well I took the carb off and cleaned it as best I could. I took my B&S manual out and went over all the troubleshooting steps and learned how to adjust it for low and high idle mixtures. I got it back on and started it up made about 2 minutes worth of adjustments and now it runs perfectly again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction fellas.

Jason