B&S/Daihatsu Engines:Any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am going to purchase a 72" midmount ZTR soon. Two brands offer a choice of Daihatsu liquid-cooled gasoline or diesel engines.What kind of a track record do either of these engines have? How well do they compare to Kubota and Yanmar liquid- cooled gas and diesel engines?
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Both are very good engines. I have a 16hp Vanguard which is made by Daihatsu its on its 8th season i have had only one problem i had to replace a regulator. No biggie, I think that the Briggs&Stratton Vanguards are as good as any of the Japanesee engines. And as far as the diesel goes there reputations are great engines. Is the diesel a Yanmar? Only thing is they are alot louder. Both choices are verygood. Im pushing 4000hrs on my Vangard. Marks Mowing Service
  3. steve

steve LawnSite Member

The Diahatsu's are great the 31HP has a flat line torque and is POWERFUL. The Diesel 26.5HP is probably the best diesel engine on the market. (Better than Kubota, Yanmar, and others in this size range). I would go with the 31HP gas. (I'm not a fan of diesel's)

They are made by Diahatsu, and are marketed by Briggs & Stratton. The only thing Briggs & Stratton on these engines is the sticker.