B&S ELS V-twin OR Kohler Courage PRO V-Twin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freedm2, Apr 23, 2007.

1. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Look at "high end" residential grade equip. I'm seeing the B&S ELS and Kohler Courge Pro pop up here and there. Ferris is using the ELS in the IS500. Simplicity is using the Courage in some of their ZTRs and Garden tractors. This is a 1st for them, normally its the B&S Vangaurd.

Of the 2, Courage and ELS which is the lesser of the evils? I don't believe the Courage V-Twins use the plastic cam gears that the Courage singles do. Kohler doesn't list the Courage Pro on thier site; you have to download the service manual or the owners manuals to see it. The only real difference between the Pro and regular is a higher capacity air cleaner as far as I can tell.

What are your thoughts? Obviously I'd rather have a Kawi/Vangard/Command but its not in the cards for this purchase.

2. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

Damn what kind of trick question is that? Just kidding, I haven't seen a whole lot of the new Courage engines with enough hours to tell but the Briggs seems to be doing decent. Something about the OHC engines still scares me a little and that being said I think I might just go with the Briggs.

I can't believe I just said that...:hammerhead: