B & S engine smoking and loss of power

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by msdprx14, Oct 30, 2005.

1. msdprx14

msdprx14 LawnSite Member

My Snapper Fastcut with a 20HP Vanguard B&S engine with about 125 hrs on it is now using oil, has blue smoke coming out the exhaust and today it is losing power to where I can't engage the blades without it chocking down. There is a considerable amount of oil coming out of the carburator and saturating the air filter. Please don't say I have engine trouble. This mower is only one year old. I am having to add about 1 pint of oil for every two hours of cutting. Now that it has lost power, I can't cut any grass. Help!

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

blue smoke is bad youll need to rebuild or buy new
    If it still under warranty take it back

3. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

The ring aer goin bad it needs to be rebuilt :cry:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sure sounds like the rings to me. Have them do a compression check. I think I would go with some Top Engine Cleaner (GM) before I rebuilt it, though. This stuff is sometimes a miracle worker. We've used it and not even had to rebuild engines that you would've thought were doomed. The stuff is a whole lot cheaper than replacement. Sometimes, the rings can get buildup in them and act like they are worn, even though they are not - they are just sticky. I hope this helps.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs Is having a issue right now with camshafts on Vanguard engines.
    Evidently they have gotten a batch of cams that were not heat treated properly thus causing the lobes to wear prematurely. The exhaust lobe wears and doesn't open the valve long enough for all the exhaust gases to exscape in turn causing extra back pressure in the crankcase and blowing oil through the breather into the air filter and carb. causing excess smoking and oil consumption. The Fix; Take it to your dealer and have them remove the valve covers and spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand watching each valve for full open position, When one doesn't Briggs will authorize them to either shortblock your engine or install a new complete engine.

6. msdprx14

msdprx14 LawnSite Member

Hey Restrorob -
    My local Snapper dealer called Briggs and Stratton and they said they have not heard of the issues you are describing. What can I do to convince them you are right and have my motor repaired under warranty? Thanks for your help.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I'm slow getting back. I guess it depends on which dummy they talked to on the phone. What I mean by that is I had one come in last week (bad Cam) on a gen-set. I called Briggs to double check warranty time since the unit had to be taken out of the frame and tore slap to pieces to replace the cam, Frigging idiot I was talking to tried to tell me the compression release was on the intake cam lobe :dizzy:

I don't really know what to say.

8. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

There is one easy, simple way to check if it is really the rings. If you have a basic compression tester (an inexpensive one will run $10 or so), test the compression. Then, add a few drops of oil, turn the engine over a little bit, and see if the compression improves. If it does improve, it is a ring problem.

9. msdprx

msdprx LawnSite Member

Hey runner,
    Where would I spray this engine cleaner? Is this something I can get from Auto Zone? Engine is still running good. However, lots of buildup get on one of the plugs and it starts getting sluggish. When it does this, I have to replace it or clean ever 10 hours or so. Engine is using about a pint of oil ever 90 minutes.
    Trying to do everything but replace/rebuit the engine.
    Thanks,
    Rodney