B&S Intek or Honda?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GeorgiaGrassMan, Sep 8, 2003.

1. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Normally choosing between a Briggs & Stratton Intek 6.5 HP and a Honda 5.5 HP would be a no brainer decision for me to go with the Honda. However, I'm looking at a Plugr PL800 Pro 30 and the price with the Honda is $355.00 more than the B&S. Is it worth it? Seems like far too large a difference in price to me.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

if you do a search on this froum concerning briggs engines it will soon be appearent why most commercial equipment is not offered with briggs engines. not built for the long haul ,although i think honda may be slipping a little bit as well. if it were me i would opt for the honda engine.
  3. LoneStar_Lawns

LoneStar_Lawns LawnSite Member

I would say honda is best for every day use in the commercial field, but the down side to honda is that they are not as common as briggs. you can go to almost any mom and pop shop and pick up parts for your briggs if you broke down in the field and needed your machine back up quickly. With honda its hard to find shops unless they sell honda or happen to stock after market parts like silver streak or rotoary, but thats usually limited to just air filters, oil filters ect. If you keep a regular maint. schedule on your engine either or should work and provide you good service.
  4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I had this same dillema. I went with the Briggs on the Pl800.

$355.00 didn't seem woth it. I'll let you know hen she oes down the tubes. First 100 hours and nothing wrong.
  5. GeorgiaGrassMan

Thing is, a new Honda 5.5 motor cost $250-350 depending on the exact model the aerator would need. So I guess that answers my question - buy the Briggs and when it's shot, then spend the extra $355.00 and get a new Honda to replace it. That's an insane pricing policy if you ask me.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is real simple. I've tried to explain it to people here many times. Get the honda for the Plugr's. Why??? The honda 5.5hp motors come from the factory set up at 3900 rpm's not the standard 3600. They are designed for the higher rpm's. Why is the important??? Speed. The cam drive runs faster due to the added rpm's. This means you can aerate faster. These machines are not the fastest things on the market, but do the best job for core aerating. I have 2 plugr aerators. One since 2000 and the other in 2002. Both have been bullit proof and the motors have never had a single problem.
  7. GeorgiaGrassMan

That's great information Hoss. That's something I would have never thought of. Thanks for the help.
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Honda is really the better motor and worht the $ but - trying to get parts (even from a honda dealer) can be a freakin' nightmare!!!
  9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

I know this is probably not reccomended. but would it cause much of a problem if you just bumped the rpm's up on the Briggs from 3600 to 3900? You would then get the speed, but would it really cause much of a problem with the Briggs engine?
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could you explain this better ? Are you meaning that Honda engines in general are designed to run at higher than factory recommended rpm's or just the engine for this application ?