B & S vanguard Engines Good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gadfreak, May 12, 2004.

1. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

I haven't used anything but Kohler and Honda. How do the vanguards hold up?

Thanks

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 16 hp, was good for me, though I did'nt really use it much, oh ya I have a 16 on a leaf vacumn

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Never recall hearing anything bad about a Vanguard. Have heard they are the most under rated of all the motors.

Alot can be learned by searching for vanguard on here.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs are good up about 10 hp single cyclinder. Their v twins don't seem to have the power. Go to a kohler or Kawi if you want a v twin. Honda is good is all sizes.

5. deadend

deadend LawnSite Member

16hp Vanguard on my SCAG is bulletproof.

6. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

I have an 18hp Vanguard. No problems & plenty of power.
    Happy mowing
    James

7. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

My Billy Goat Leaf Vacuum has a 16 hp Vanguard and it runs just fine. Thanks for reminding me I need to fire it up today and let it run for a few minutes.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Man, were still using ours, people still raking lawns, and calling for leaf removal. I want to get the box off and build some small racks on it.

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

my 18 hp briggs vanguard is creeping towards 1800 hours pretty much trouble free.

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The twin Vanguards are made by Daihatsu, which is actually related to Toyota I believe. Daihatsu also makes the "Vanguard " 3 cyl. gas and diesel engines that you see on so much equipment now.

The air cooled Vanguard twins have been around for about 10 years now, and they are terrific engines. I think they are every bit as good as any Kaw or Honda, or Kubota engine.

The only thing that hurts their sales is the Briggs and Stratten name tag on these engines. Many people don't seem to realize that Briggs is only the distributor , and has nothing to do with the actual design or manufacturing of Daihatsu engines.