B&S vibratach

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by smokey, Feb 2, 2006.

1. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

I just got one of the b&s vibratachs and was wondering how to use it.Do you take an rpm reading when the metal rod FIRST begins to vibrate or are you looking for a certain amount of vibration?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Set the tach. on the engine and rotate the thumb wheel extending the wire out, The longer the wire gets the more it will swing back and forth. Once the wire gets to it's widest swing stop and read the gage. If you go past the widest swing the swing will get shorter again, So adjust to the widest swing and stop.

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Restrorob,

So let me get this straight, first you take out your wire, then it gets longer, then you let it swing around wildly?? And if I read your note correctly, a short wire is not good, but too long a wire is also not good. So does size matter or not? :confused:

Sorry, slow day here ...

deej

4. Restrorob

The length of the wire is not important but the width of the wire swinging back and forth is what your looking at.

Let me try this again, Set the throttle to wide open or idle position which ever you want to check. Set the tach. on the engine and start turning the dial to extend the wire, As the wire extends out it will start swinging back and forth in a V type pattern. The pattern will get wider with the more wire extended but there will come a point to where too much wire extended will cause the V pattern to get smaller again, So rotate the wheel to extend or retract the wire to get the widest V shaped swing then stop and read the numbers on the dial window and that will be the RPM.

Always start with the wire retracted inside the tach.

Hope this one is a little better......

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hope that is an inexpensive tach?

6. Restrorob

OK, I gotta ask why you asked that question ?

7. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

It was only $20 but I've heard they are pretty accurate.

8. Restrorob

I have found my vibratach when used properly as explained is just as accurate as my 40.00 tinytach and on some engines better.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno,but I like the name!

10. Restrorob

I'm sure you do. :laugh: