Bac-Vac for 60" Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Advance Lawncare, May 2, 2004.

1. Advance Lawncare

Advance Lawncare LawnSite Member

We've been looking into picking up the Bac-Vac for our one of the 60" super z's due to recently picking up a few really thick, and fairly large zoysia yards that have homeowners who insist on having the clippings picked up and hauled off.

So, having had some bad experience with midmounts setup to vacuum in the past, I have a few questions for those of you who own or have been around super z's with the Bac-Vac setup.

1. How bad is the handling of the machine affected by the addition of the Bac-Vac setup?

I ask this because when I added Ferris' vaccum system to my old ferris 1000z that mower became useless. On any slope at all, nose dive city with those counterweights on the front. It sucked for lack of a better way of wording things.

2. How quickly does the vacuum detach from the mower?

Again, on the Ferris it was not all so easy of a task to remove the vacuum. I'm hoping the Hustler setup is more similar to grasshopper's system where the vacuum can be removed or put on in about 20 seconds.

3. On the 25hp Super Z with a 60" deck does the vacuum cause a big underpowering issue?

4. Are there any other positives or negatives about the system that any of you would like to share?

Thanks for the time and input ,

ALC

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

1) the unit comes with a counter weight kit that you install on the front of the mower, although it is only to counter the additional weight in the rear, the unit will weigh more and thus in soft areas you may experience some traction issue's, nothing that I would be to worried about though...as far as hill mowing with the weights up front, the Hustler product does very well on hill's and with the Bac-Vac, you will notice little difference.

2) once the initial brackets are bolted to the deck, you need no tools to remove the blower, it takes 30 seconds to remove the blower itself and maybe another 30 seconds to remove the rear hopper (it has wheels and can be rolled around after taken off)

3) you will need to watch your ground speed, that is the major factor, if you go the right speed for the catching conditions, you will be ok, but if I were buying a new mower and planned on using a Bac-Vac I would buy the most hp I could afford, and thus not have to slow down as much.

4) positive, the unit has been on a couple different models since 1995, we have always had self contained catching systems and we build all of it in house.
    It is easy to remove and install and easily moved once off the unit.
    Being able to dump from the seat is a great feature also.

Hope this helps
    Pj

3. Advance Lawncare

Advance Lawncare LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply PJ,

seems like that takes care of my major concerns. As bad as my experience was with the collection system on my ferris, I just wanted some input before shelling out the cash for the Bac-Vac system.

All but one of the properties that I need the collection system for are fairly flat, but that one is anything other than flat, so it was my main concern on the issue of losing hillside capabilities with the added weights.

Slower ground speed isn't too big of a deal, as I suspected that would be the case. Seeing as how I've been having to do these fairly large yards with a 37" walkbehind and a side mount grass catcher, I would be much more productive on the super z even if I have to go extremely slow.

I definitely like the idea of being able to remove the system so quickly as it will only really be needed one day per week at this point.

I guess mainly I just wanted to check to see if the Bac-Vac system would be the way to go, or if I'd just be better off to shell out the cash for a dedicated collecting mower. I like to keep all my mowers yellow :), but I guess if I had to, the "other", "collecting" mower is yellow too, so...

Anyhow, I'll probably give the Bac-Vac a try and see how it works out. Sure don't want to throw out the money for a complete other mower right now, so the Bac-Vac is probably my best bet.

Thanks again for the reply,

ALC