1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bachtold high wheel brush cutters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Have to clear 6000 SF of heavy briar thickets, with some small saplings. Anyone own or have rented one of these machines? Compare to Blly Goat? I want to chop everythingt up into small pieces; does the Bachtold do this?
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I can't compare to the Goat, but I own a Bachtold. It comes two ways. One has a heavy brush head and a very thick (nearly 1/2") blade. The other is a weed head and is similar to the DR they show on TV.

I have the weed head and have cut bamboo more than 1" thick with it, and weeds over 6 feet tall. It does a pretty good job of shredding the material, but if the stuff is woody or very tall, you may need to cut twice.

I have rented a machine with the other head, and it's good on thick woody brush, but not as good on weeds. It will also throw stumps and baseball size rocks. Be careful.

I don't know exactly what you mean by small pieces, but what you cut will look like you used a brush hog.