Back Fatigue - String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by carlswee, May 1, 2006.

1. carlswee

carlswee LawnSite Member

I have had two lower back operations and would like to find out which string trimmer to use to reduce back fatigue. I have about 30 minutes of trimming but can only work for about 5 minutes at a time with my current curved Weedeater trimmer. HELP PLEASE!!!

2. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Lots of makes and models to choose from, but look for: light weight, straight shaft, and shoulder straps. For my money, thirty minutes of trimming each time you mow would warrant at least a commercial grade "home series" unit, such as something by Redmax, Stihl, or Shindaiwa .

My back is kinda gimpy too...I've got the Redmax, and I love it.:clapping:

3. carlswee

carlswee LawnSite Member

Thanks Stryper

4. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Most curved shaft trimmers are fairly short and that would cause you to have to "bend over" more as you work. If you get a straight shaft, make sure the strap attachment on the shaft is located for best balance and properly adjust the strap so that it and not you is supporting the entire weight. With everything adjusted right you should have very little, if any, bending of your back.

5. moss2940

moss2940 LawnSite Member
    from texas

Stihl makes a curved shaft weedeater with an extra length shaft on it. I don't remember the model number but you might look at that one also.

6. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

You're welcome...good luck. :drinkup: