1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

back fire

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Clint Gantt, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Clint Gantt

Clint Gantt LawnSite Member

why does my 23/52 backfire sometimes during shutdown. I am always careful to let it cool down before a full load during shutdown and always idle it for 1 minute. Thanks
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to have your dealer check out the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor.
    This stops the fuel flow to the main jet and into the hot cylinder during shut down.

3. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by another Hustler Rep (Dave at Stull) not to shut the engine off at idle. When the engine is shut off at idle fuel can still flow through the idle jet even with the solenoid closed and this is what causes the backfire. If you shut the engine off at mid range the idle jet is closed and when you kill the switch the solenoid closes off all the fuel.
    He also said it is better to cool the engine at a higher RPM. I started doing it this way on all my equipment and so far no backfires.
  4. Clint Gantt

Clint Gantt LawnSite Member

so this is a problem because i thought it may have just been a normal thing for that engine. As soon as i get a chance i will take it to the dealer. Only problem is i bought it 40 miles away. Can i take it to a dealer closer to me and have them look at it or do i need to take it back to the dealer i bought it from.
  5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Mine does this too and the dealer said it was from not letting it idle down long enough. I think he's full of it myself. Even if I let it idle slow a while it's been known to do it. It doesn't do it every single time though.
  6. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

shut it down at 3/4 throttle.
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Different dealers have different opinions.
    It comes down to what works for you and your particular engine.
  8. rcmike

rcmike LawnSite Member
    from TN

Not sure what brand your engine is but in my Kohler manual that came with my mower it says,
    "For carbureted engines equipped with a shutdown solenouid: Position the throttle control between half and full throttle; then stop the engine."
  9. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Kawi 23.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had one 27 hp Kohler on a Super Z that would backfire at any throttle position except wide open. The way I learned to handle this situation was by talking with a Kohler design engineer. He told me to switch it off at full throttle and I said I have never turned anything off at full throttle in my life.

I told him I had been farming and running equipment all my life, I had always let my engines and turbo charges cool down before switching them off. He said, trust me the air cooled engines are running cooler at top engine rpm's than at lower throttle settings, always switch them off from 1/2 to full throttle. Mine would not switch off without backfiring anywhere but full throttle and it would switch off perfectly every time at that point.

Trust me like I had to trust him, it works believe me from experience.

Come back and tell people how well it works so everyone will understand that if you let a air cooled engine idle it can actually become hotter than with the fan air flow at high speed to cool the engine the way it was designed.