back flow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by skurkp, Mar 20, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

What is the normal amount for replacement of an 1.5" backflow?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Buried Doublecheck?

RPZ suspended?

PVB?

In a basement?

Lots of details first.

3. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

4. Is it on copper or galvanized...in a cage or not in a cage....on a cement pad or not on a cement pad?

Many more questions...but I would say my minimum...if all copper and I didn't have to dig.....and you pulled the permit...would be approximately $400-500

5. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

PVC above ground no digging, cut the plastic ,glue in couplers and install new PVB. Do the PVB come with the two ball valves needed?

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Shop for 1 ½” brass PVBs that size and you may spend at least $200 on the part alone. Labor will depend upon those other factors.

7. My cost on a 765-1 1/2 is $160ish.....I would try to convince you to do it in copper...but if I could not do so....it would be cheaper than the 400-500.

But I would not warranty anything...pvc above ground w/ something that friggin heavy is an accident waiting to happen...protected or not. JMHO>

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

there are very few PVB's left in my area, the ones that are still around are usually 1" class PVC. I think all the larger backflows have gone to DC's now.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

JMHO too. It's a problem waiting for a mower, vandal, do-gooder, etc. to make it happen. :laugh:

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

PVBs down in Houston may be very common, and likely more common than double checks. I’d think that a foot of 1 ½” Sched 40 sticking up out of the ground could easily handle the weight of a kryptonite or depleted uranium PVB.