1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back from my first day of plowing.......

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mike Hughes, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes LawnSite Member

All I have to say is........What's not to like?

I get paid to drive in the snow.....i love it. Thank you very much to those of you who have been helping me....I really appreciate it.

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the world of plowing

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did you make out OK Mike? Don't let this storm fool you! They all are not all light fluffy powder like this one. You got to watch out for the 6" and up HEAVY wet snows, then you will see what its all about and you might change your tune!! LOL I billed for an 8" snow, what did you get up by you? This was a very location related storm.

4. Mike Hughes

Got about 9 to 10 inches here. I agree with you about the wet stuff......and I'm sure it's on the way soon.......but, we'll deal with it!

Take care,

5. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

We got unofficially by my measurement 12" here in Ambler. I was out for 18 hours yesterday and 4 today. Guess I'm a light weight I had to call it quits after midnight to catch a few winks. Ready to take a nap before the Eagles play and head out for a New Years party. Happy New Years everyone.
  6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

we got 6-8 here in Delaware County. Enough to hit all my res. twice. I was out about 17 hrs. Sat and a few hrs on Sunday to take care of a few I picked up while I was out. Did all my billing this evening, had a good first time out. A dozen more would be nice!!! Chip, Mike & dixie, you guys aren't that far from me. Came down pretty fast at times didn't it?? Well, time to stuff the bills in the envelopes and get them out in the morning. Hope the next storm is around the corner!!!!
  7. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

Hi everyone! Mike & I are new to your forum. Looks like we are all pretty much in the same area.

Let's hope we get ten more of those 8-10 inch storms.

Take care all!

8. Mike Hughes

Ok.........as Dixie1 stated, our most recent storm was really heavy (wet). Well, now that the smoke has cleared, I can honestly say that I still like this work.

I did learn one thing however.........have a small commercial lot that is on a slight slope......just enough to cause big problems when there is a layer of ice under the snow........got stuck a couple times.......very frustrating at 2 in the morning when no one's around...... Even with those setbacks, I got the lot done in the same amount of time as the previous storm, so, I'm getting faster. :)

9. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new into the business this year also. You will find that no matter how long you plow you always learn something each time. I've been around the business for a long time but this is my first year with my own truck. Fast does not always pay offf but it sounds like you are building up your confidence well. Plow safe.

Happy Plowing
  10. Mike Hughes

Let me rephrase........I'm getting more efficient. :)