1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back hoe attachment for compact tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newleaflandscape, Oct 30, 2003.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking of buying one of those back hoe attachments for my compact tractor. Its a 35 horse john deere. I can get a nice used one that mounts on the frame with quicktach for 3500 bucks. We rent those little kubota excavator so much for digging odd retaining walls and stuff that I am thinking it would go be good money spent. Wondering if any of you guys have one and if there are any pros and cons to them. I know they arent near as versatile as using an excavator, but I figured I could save on the rental fees even if it takes me longer to use this. I have heard from many to never buy one that attaches to the three point, but other then that there isnt alot of info on them out there, and I am still wondering if a compact tractor is really built to use such a thing.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I gotta hoe on a tc 40 and there are so many variables. I would make sure it has a seperate pump for the hoe as the compacts just don't put out enough gpm flow to run a hoe unless its small one. There slow but faster than a shovel imo get a bradco hoe if possable. If you can get a pto pump and hook it up it will give you more power than your trac wants to take.
  3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how you could even go back to using a backhoe .I would lookd to get a small excavator even if it was used.It's nice to spin 180 deg. to dump them pick up with your loader.