back hurts from trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Jun 5, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Does anyone elses back hurt from using the sting trimmer all day?
    I use a redmax machine with the D handle and my back kills at the end of the day? Any options for a different handle, Thanks,

2. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

My back was killing me, so I changed the handle position on my trimmer a few times with no luck.

The only thing I've found is using a sling/strap or harness (think thay have 'em for RedMax). That really saved my back.

The best thing, of course, would be if I could afford to have someone ELSE trim. :D Maybe next year.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the shoulder strap. Or just use a piece of string if ur on a low budget... Like me. :D

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a lame idea, but I thought i'd offer a suggestion. Have you ever tried one of those back support belts with the shoulder straps? I've used one when i've been on my feet working all day (not trimming though), and it gave me more support in my lower and middle back. The disadvantage is they tend to be a bit confining after you've had them on a while. Hope you find a solution to your problem soon. Back pain sucks :(

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

1. You’ve got a couple things here. First, if you “HAVE” to WW all day, then you are entitled to take small breaks in between, otherwise you have the wrong company to work for. Just look at “all” the manuals that come with any WW. My boss has no problem with me working 15 minutes and a 2 minute break to stretch.
    2. Next, adjust the machine so you don’t have to bend over.
    3. Next, change between having the head behing you and pushing it with the head in front of you.
    4. Next, change between holding the trigger hand in the normal position, and then switch your grip to holding the trigger part from underneath.
    5. Next, adjust the trigger so that you can use your whole hand to pull the trigger, then back to just one finger. Also, rotate the trigger so you can pull it while your hand is rotated around the grip more, and then less.
    6. Push and pull the machine toward you and back, instead of swinging left to right. It takes a lot more back effort and muscle to swing it instead of push and pull.

I’ve been doing two cemeteries for almost 20 years now, and I’ve be able to WW more with less problems using all these techniques.
    Frankly, a good boss, or if you are the boss, should trade off between a bit of mowing a bit of WW’ing.
    Good luck,
    Pete

6. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I have a cemetery that takes 22 hours to weed eat. I have learned to keep my back straight and my arms straight as much as possible and also wear a back brace.

Firefighter

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have wrote to a couple of companies in regards to a possible longer shaft, but haven't heard nothing from them.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just talked with one of Stihls customer service on the phone and they told me that they are not currently planning on any longer shafts.

9. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

At 6'5" just about anything makes mine hurt. esp. trimmers and push mowers. I too have inquired about shaft extensions.

My saw horses are 48" high! As a reference your kitchen counter is probably 32".

Joe

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Joe, For what it's worth, the BT225 Redmax bent shaft (commercial duty) could be your solution. Being a bent shaft (cable drive), you can manually bend the shaft angle allowing you to hold the trigger handle from underneath, and point the trimmer at a steeper angle than the "only one" angle of a straight shaft. I've been doing this for years. Think about. My helper is 6' 3" and we rebent the 225 for him and he loves it.
    good luck,
    Pete