back in business need bidding help!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by egaoton, Apr 13, 2008.

1. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have been out of the business for 4 years and I have started up again and I need some bidding help. Here are some rough numbers I have put together. What do you think?

Here is the scenario. These are 600-700k homes. They were built and the builder is waiting for them to be sold but in the meantime he is going to rent them out and wanted “basic” landscaping. Don’t ask me what that means, but I interpreted that as sod, sprinklers, flower beds and a few trees and shrubs so here is how my bid is breaking down:

Sod 8100 sq. ft. Material, labor and delivery $4860.60
    Sprinklers 11 valves Material and labor $5885
    10 Shrubs mark up x1.5 wholesale, delivery and labor $397.50
    4 Spruces mark up 1.5 wholesale, delivery and labor $780
    3 Flowering Pears mark up 1.5 wholesale and labor $402.50
    Irrigation Clock material and labor $205
    Backflow install material, test and labor $425
    Trenching material and labor $670
    Topsoil/flower bed build up materials and labor $820
    Tractor work final grade, equipment and labor $820
    Total: $15,265.60

Let me know what you think. I think I should combine the flowerbed/topsoil buildup and final grade together.
    Thanks for your help.

Hillside Construction
    Draper, Utah

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Most of us here dont deal with plantings, grading, soil delivery, etc... So. In my opinion, everything looks tolerable, irrigation wise, but that is assuming things about your system, its parts, and the quality of both.

Your timer is way too cheap, unless it is an orbit.

"Dont make it harder then it is"

(Sorry, inside joke)

3. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the reply. I like to use Hunter products and my valve portion of it includes running the wire to the box. The clock bid includes putting up the clock, connecting wires, and setting timers.

So is tolerable on the high side or just abour right?

Thanks again.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to obviously crunch numbers if I were to do the same job here. However,

Site conditions, drive time, overhead, labor, plant/tree sizes and a multitude of other factors would go into consideration in my bid. These are things that none of us can see or calculate other than you.

If you were putting in 4 spruce trees at 1/2" caliper, I would say you are overpriced. 4 at 10" caliper and you would be way under.

Are you offering a warranty on anything and is that included?

Again, a large list of things we could go back and forth on all night, but at that point, we charge to complete the whole bid for ya. For a 6-700k home, 15k is "basic" indeed, but done right, you could really capitalize.

5. egaoton

egaoton LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the help. I'll jump back and look at my wholesale prices on my trees. At this point I just wanted to know if I was in the ball park. the bid will include an "allowance" for a few add ons that I think should happen, but would only be done on an addendum to the existing contract. As per my conversation with the owner he wanted basic and honestly he should go the distance on these homes because they would be spectacular.