Back in the Day.....good stuff for all

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Now that most of us can not see green on the lawns its time to dig into the family classics. Hopefully the Moderators will be kind and keep it here as it is lawn care related and we are a little short of actual lawn topics this time of year.
    With the influx of new members to this great site it never hurts to have a little history lesson from those who were here from an early age and have helped the site get to where it is. Many don't know who or what ERIC ELM was or did for this site or that Chuck was the originator. These things are in here but hard to find unless you start digging. I still wish there was a place that referenced the beginnings of this site. Its great to see what it has become but it is also nice to go back and see when it was just getting its legs.
    This thread below was made to let you brag about your stuff and to introduct yourself to the other couple hundred who were here, yes hundred not thousand. Walk thru it and look at names and dates and the things they had. Its neat to see.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Dedicated to my good friend Eric ELM, Happy Holidays my friend.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Think I only counted 6 or so that are still around...great thread btw.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

LOL yea that was a different batch of Lawn boys! I guess they all w4ent out of Biz when bobby Gedd came along.

Back then we had one truck, and a 3 20 year old Bunton, & Bob-cat mowers. with the skinny belts. The big one never gave a clean cut.

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This site has really taken off since then, wish I would have found it earlier.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Rod, make you think don't it? Some are still around and just don't post much and others are either out of business or moved on.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Kind of makes you wonder what happened to the guys that stopped posting. I was lurking around this site since 2000 but didn't registered for a couple of years. I do remember alot of those guys.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I went through all 15 pages and recognized many of those names and have personally met 3 of them. Dave (Capt Devo) being one them. I bought a Walker mower from him about the time this site was started. A year later we were reunited through this site. Over course of a few years I bought this and that from him...probably around $20K of this and that. He drifted away and just last year I bought an accelerator bagger off eBay....turned out to be from him....again. Met Evan528 and COS also. I can still remember my heart racing when I read about the death of Eric.

Thanks for the thread Mowed.

Matt

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What an excelent idea, MowED.

Eric was like everyone's dad on this forum. He was a teacher with so many eager students, and me being one. Time is quickly moving forward and it would be good to have a way to remember the roots of this forum.

I think Bobby G is sort of the modern day, new Larry Stone. I sort of miss his "color".

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still around, (Since July 2000) so make that 7 or so.... Just don't post much anymore.:drinkup:

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno Mac.

Evan 528 I have met as well and kind of went with Cos. Glad to see Sammy is still around and is still 99 years old LOL. Maybe the novelty of LS faded for some, maybe some are back working for the man cause they couldn't make it on their own.

I miss the Eric Elm's, Ray Kirby's, Mike Becker's from long ago. I sure as hell know they helped me alot. I guess that is why I still frequent here and try to help some of the younger guys with respect to the business-end of this industry. And it's good for them as well you're here helping with the day-to-day ops.

Be interesting if any that have faded into the past stand up and say hello...