1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back In The Saddle!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Apr 5, 2004.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowed my first 2 accounts today!!! Who cares that it was 40 degrees and the wind was blowing 45mph. I was having a anxiety attack to begin mowing. Got a few grass clippings in my eyes and scraped my knuckles on some trees, but enjoyed it!!!! And yes, my van will actually smell like grass for about 2 days then back to that oil and gas odor!!
  2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

We mowed 2 yards on sat. 4-3 and the temps. werent to bad. Went out today 4-5 and it was down right cold. Pisses me off it just wont warm up. This summer probabley will be smokin.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It does feel good to finally be back to work but I miss sleeping in.
  4. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Lawns and Mower, where are you located? I am in Elkin just off of I-77.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I may loose a job to cost, but not quality!

I like your signiture Bull.
  6. Bull

from NC

Locutus thanks, quality is the one thing I can control. Basically everything else comes with variables.

I'm in the hills. Boone to be more specific. I use to take 77 going north, but found a quicker way. Summers are great up here, cooler temps, but just wish the seasons were longer. You got me beat by 3 weeks at least.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, welcome Bull! I know right where you are. I'm west of you on HWY 268, all the way at the West end.

Lawns and Mower,

Congrats on the first 2 cuts! We have gotten off to a slow start this year due to cold weather. But oh my god is it ever gonna be on when it does get warm and stay warm.

Don't feel bad though. I'd be having a friggin' heart attack if I didn't cut a single blade of grass in March. I've been kicking and screaming because I've only been flyin' about half mast for 3 weeks. A lot of it now is just sand baggin' on the part of the customer though. Roller coaster weather just doesn't give them spring fever or get them motivated to do anything.

I can't say as I've minded too much though. At most I'll miss out on 3 cuts for the annuals and 4 on the rest. But hopefully winter will arrive late and I can make up for those in the fall. What really burns is I haven't had near the March extra's work and earnings I usually have. So you can bet the the farm that they'll wait till the grass is 8" tall and want it all done at once if they do the extra's at all.

I might be in for a hard spring.....

As for the van, do you just work out of it for regular cutting. If so that's a dang fine idea. Why? Well because I thought of it too. A while back there was a thread on here called "if you had it to do all over" and if I had posted that might have been what I would said. Sometimes I think it would be nice just to simplify things. A clean LWB heavy duty cargo van, nice lettering, some sort of ramp system and the biggest walkbehind that could be stuffed in it. Nice, simple, compact, tidy and everything is secured while you are on the back 40, parked somewhere or in bed asleep.

Well it sounds good anyways...

Get my PM Envy????

PS You owe me a lunch!!!!!!:mad: :mad:
  10. Bull

from NC

Envy and Lawns and Mower, I did not realize that you guys operated so close to me. It' nice to see though. Envy, where exactly are you at? Somewhere above Wilkesboro? Lawns and Mower, I bought my truck off of a grave digger up in Boone. I can't remember his name though. If you are ever coming into Elkin let me know, it would be nice to meet you guy's.