1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back Injury!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A few days ago I took a real hard fall onto a concrete floor. Now I've got some serious pain in my low back and the whole left side of my body from the waist down. So far the word from the doctor is that is probably a disk. Particularly the one where the big nerve comes out and runs down each of your legs. He thinks the butt, hip, leg and foot pain are a result of nerve root compression from the bad disk.

This is all pretty scary for me. Not that I would wish this pain or injury on anyone, but I was kind of hoping to hear from someone who has suffered this injury. It would be nice to hear from someone on how they dealt with this physically, medically and business wise....

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I hate to hear that Envy. Hope you recover quickly. I had something similar happen years ago,but it wasn't severe enough to stop me. Tingling in my legs, some numbness, back pain. Just took things a little slower until I got better.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't think any of us on here are doctors, or play one on TV but... i'm sure your doc will set you up with a physical therapist they should be able to straighten you right out. take it easy for now.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Broke my back in 1993 in two places. Lower and upper. They said I'd be lucky to regain 60% of my original strength, with surgery, less without. After going back and forth to neurologists, hearing the patients claim what # surgery they were on ( "This is my 4th", "I'm on my 6th!" ) I decided that I would opt for the physical therapy instead, 8 months of hard work. I feel like I'm 90% today, can't say 100% because sometimes I still go down for a couple of days at a time from pain, but it does not last long, it's not often, and I'm fine later. But for the first year or so, it was very trying. I must say, the complete worst part of the entire ordeal was a procedure called a Milogram. OH MY GOD. AVOID this at all costs. They inject a dye into your spine, lay you on a moving table, and tilt you up and down, taking xrays or something. Well, the dye ran into my brain, I had an allergic reaction, and almost did not make it through. The next TWO weeks, I was LAID out on the sofa suffering from the worst headache you could ever imagine.

You'll be ok, just make sure to get second opinions on everything, and weigh your options carefully.

Good luck, and take care of yourself.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

percocets and vicodene and call back in a few days
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sorry to hear that Envy.Hope all turns out for the best.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Long story short a lot of us will go through this. It is very easy to pinch the sciatic nerve either thru accident or just overuse/ improper lifting technique.

You really have to find a balance between trying to get everything done and being around in one piece tomorrow.

Working safely means a lot more than ear protection and driving safely. It means balancing your workload so you don't make foolish mistakes, or lift improperly in a hurry, or get stressed out.

I had the pain shoot down my legs. It is really important to see a doctor immediatly and stop doing what causes the pain. Don't work through pain 3 days straight like I did.

I hurt my back this year and kept working. That turned a 2 week problem into a 6 month problem. Doc said I was lucky to come to my senses and seek treatment, could have had a lifelong injury.

I compressed a disk in my back. (I'm 30 yrs old). Prednisone and reduced workload fixed it (steroid), and Vioxx helps control recurring pain. Tried chiro, didn't work.

What I'm saying is...you need to be careful. In the LIKELY event you feel back pain, ease off the work. If you INJURE your back, some things will work, some won't. You may have to see multiple doctors until you settle on what works for you.

One thing is fact: Very few back injuries require surgery. Don't let anyone operate on your back unless you have had several opinions from qualified doctors indicating surgery. Statistics I have read show that only 1% of back probs require surgery, and only 60% of surgery is effective. Surgery can make you worse, permanently.

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i suffered 2 herniated discs in my lower left side (l4&l5) back in 98. ive had every kind of treatment but surgery. the reason i wont do that now, is because im solo, and know to many people that are worse after surgery. it still gives me a world of trouble, but im thankful i am able to get around. dont let the heatingpad tempt you, it feels good but its the worst thing for it. it causes the blood to be drawn into the injured area and start throbbing. the best thing is ice but after 5 years i still cant find a comfortable posistion on an ice pack. if you dont watch it winter will get the best of you if you just lay around and take it easy. staying active will be your best friend if nothing is ruptured. im always at my best when im active, but be careful it wont take much to put you back down. i hope its minor.
  9. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your injury. When I was about 22 (31 know), I had to undergo surgery on my L5 disk to remove a the buldge causing my sciatica pain. After surgery I was out of work for about 8 weeks doing physical therapy three times a week. Everything was fine until last winter and the pain was back. I was scared to death. I talked to my doctor and he refered me to a pain management doctor. Three epideral type shots in my spine (ouch) and the problem has almost gone away. This doctor told me that only about 10% of back injuries like mine needed to be operated on and the pain I was having was caused by arthritis which inturn was caused by scar tissue. In short, I know the pain is bad and you are going to feel helpless. My suggestion is see a good doc and tell him you are self employed and surgery is the absolute last option. Physical therapy and pain management are the keys. I have read every back book the public library has to offer. Good luck
  10. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Disabilty Insurance

is more important than liability insurance in such a business.