Back/Neck Problems due to ZTR use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jun 24, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have some great looking lawns which cut smooth and leave beautiful stripes. But hiding underneath the premium turf is a nightmare of bumps that you don't know exsist until you're riding over them with your mower. I get thrown all over the place! I have started to feel some extra stress in my neck and back from the bouncing turbulence.

This week I'm going to get a suspension seat for my lazer, but I'm not sure how well it's going to solve my problem.

Anyone else have lawns which are so bumpy you have to mow them extra slow?

Any solutions?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: I feel your pain brother...I have one lawn that I just despise cutting because one half of it is so friggin bumpy you have to creep over it...That is what makes this otherwise OK lawn to friggin time consuming...my ass kills me by the time I get finished;) ...

3. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

I have some rough ones. My suspension seat is of no use on them. It is actually worse because it will bottom out, really jamming you up. You have to adjust the seat extra firm and then all the little bumps aren't absorbed. Just have to take it slow.

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

honestly im not trying to make fun of anyone but this business demands physical strength and anyone who works on the job and doesnt just sit in an office should be working out and be in prime shape it helps u in many ways

5. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

What does that have to do with bumpy lawns?

6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what this has to do with bumpy lawns either but I am in "prime" shape! If your spinal chord is getting repeatedly compressed over bumpy lawns it could lead to some serious complications down the road... that has nothing to do with how much you can bench :weightlifter:

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

A cheap solution for us was john deere springs from dealer for 4.99 + tax. They bolted into the spot where rubber bumpers were. This fix helped by about 60%. At the end of the day it wasnt my back it was my kidneys feeling as if they had been ripped and bounced around on concrete. BTW: springs are on an 05 Scag Z-Cat. Good Luck!!!

ZCatSeat1.jpg

ZCatSeat2.jpg

8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

air pressure is HUGE in rear tires. drop the pressure, ride better, but cut not as consistent. but, on the bumpy lawns, who cares about consistent cut???

9. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

That's great! :clapping: I'm all over that one! 2001 Tiger rocks like heck on bumpy stuff. Some places after an hour I wanted OFF that machine. I also don't like having to take a leak every half hour either. :laugh:

The new Tiger with the suspension seat is a world of difference. I set it heavier than what I am, but not maxed, and it works great. On some parts I still need to slow down though. Not for the bumps, but because of missing grass.

I'd be really happy if they could control the vibration!

I don't know if anyone else is into the civil war or not...
    When autopsies were done on mounted Cavalry soldiers who were in the saddle for years they found that most of them had compacted spines. Some of the vertebre were actually starting to fuse together. All those thousands of miles in the saddle packed everything.

A

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lot of rain and 1 big azz 2000# roller pulled by the trac really flattens those lawns out. Charge to flatten and then charge to aerate. You make money to save your back