1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

back-pack blower died need a w one -

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Marek13, May 10, 2007.

1. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Hi there,
    My backpack blower died in he middle of a job and I need to get new one.
    400-450$ tops. I figured I ask the PROS. which blower would you recommend. The desisted one was Echo PB-60HT. Felt heavy but worked. I have 30 residential accts and I am looking for something with decent power to use it for fall clean up. How are the stihl 550 they are in my range but thatÂ’s a new model for I am looking for input.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindawia EB630.. Awesome blower
  3. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I'm no pro, but I use a RedMax EB7100. Exceptional reliability and plenty of power. They are probably at your top price range, but I know there are some on ebay for a bit less.
  4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Stihl Br-550 thats all the blower I need. Great for blowing leaves in the fall and other random debris.
  5. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Shindawia makes a mean machine and they feel great on the back

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax is top here.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if you dont need max power i also recommend the shin 630. also sthil 420 magnum is very reliable and long lasting . these are the best middle weight-power units redmax 7001 uses the same engine as the shin 630 but the shin is better made overall
  8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't toss the old blower just yet. I had a similar problem. It may just need a new ignition module.

Most Echo's now come with Lifetime Ignition Module Warranty
  9. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

I just took it to the dealer-where I was about to purchase the Stihl 600 he told me the same thing -ignition-But what was surprising is that he did not pushed me to buy the Stihl -I like the guy for his honesty and I will buy the Stihl as back up for large jobs.
    Thanks for your input
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The 600 is well worth the extra $, seeing how you might have some time to decide. If I had to do it over again I would've never bought the 550, matter of fact I'll be selling it next year as I get another 600 (for backup).

Yes, I have one of each now... The 550 is nice, but not when compared side by side, dollar for dollar.
    In the long run the 600 actually uses less fuel, not per hour, but per job because they get the job done so much faster, you earn more, too. Bang for the buck, the 600 is way better than the 550.

Now if it's a money thing, I'd get a decent 420 used, you can find nice ones on ebay for under 300.