Back pack blower killing my shoulder

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CL&T, Nov 18, 2012.

1. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Am I the only one that their back pack kills their shoulder during fall cleanups? I use a EBZ8500 and after about 45 minutes my left arm gets so numb that I can't move it. (Why the left I have no idea.) I tried extra strap padding made by somebody last year but it was more trouble because it didn't stay on the straps and didn't work. I wonder, does anybody make a waist belt that would take some of the weight off the straps?
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Should have gotten the Husky version (580) which has a padded waist belt and chest strap....distributes the weight nicesly. The Husky harness may fit your machine...not sure if the frame is different though.
  3. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about that, seeing your left arm hurts more than the other maybe you have a pinched nerve. I would go to a chiropractor and get an adjustment. With our industry our backs take a beating, even if we're not landscaping. shoulders hurt at times, but usually after a couple hours of blowing. I think you're on the right track, somehow you need to support the weight in spots other than a shoulder.

Let us know if you figure something out.
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Huskies blowers have waist belts at least the big ones do. I might recommend making sure the blower isn't sitting too low on your back thus pulling on your shoulders I have my 600 set up so it sets up high on my back so as not to pull on my shoulders.
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Similar. I have an 8000 it kills my shoulder blade area. Definately not numb though. It gets painful like a pinched nerve. I dont use it as long anymore. Got the billy goat and bagger. hopefully a hurricane next yr.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the stihl kombi system blower, for the weedeater. More power and less weight (and less space, and less $) than a backpack blower! Try it, you'll like it!:waving:
  7. Darryl G

More power than a backpack blower...yeah, right.
  8. Bowhog1

Bowhog1 LawnSite Member

CL&T ..don't ignore pain..that's your radial nerve. See the Doc.
  9. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax and Husqvarna are now the same company I believe. Machines look very much the same but I'm not seeing the waist belt on the 580, at least on their website. Looks like they are making the 580 the same as the RM 8500 now. I could check replacement parts I suppose. How old is yours?
  10. Darryl G

There is definitely a waist belt on the 580 as well as some of their other blowers. Mine is a year old. It's listed in the features for the unit as well.

And yes, Husqvarna owns Redmax but not all their products are the same. Husqvarna has "borrowed" some of the Redmax units and modified them a bit. I don't know if Redmax has rebadged any Husky stuff though...don't think so.