Back pack blower modification

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchick17, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lawnchick17

lawnchick17 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a commercial back pack blower for a Lefty? I wanted to check around before I start taking things apart!
    Any modification suggestions would be cool too!
    :dancing:

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I think you posted in the wrong section, but thats not a major problem.

I've never seen one yet, but imagine it CAN be done. personally, I'm a left handed guy myself, I just learned how to use the right handed setup. there is NO engineering reason that a blower couldnt be designed for lefties like us, just not a big enough demand.

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What about using the hip throttle option.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would think you'd have to replace the turbofan shroud, there are two parts to it and they're not cheap (for the stihl, they run like 70 dollars each), and that's if they make a leftie shroud.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Most blowers have a swivel that the hose swings around 180 degrees. Just wear the blower on the front like a baby carrier, and you're all set!
    No, seriously,...I'm not sure what the diameters of these pipes are (probably depends on the brand of blower), but I can see some sort of 180 - whether it be 2 elbows, or whatever. This would wrap around the blower toward the back (staying horizontal so the bottom of the blower stays level...
    No wait,....scratch all that. If your elbow coming out of the nozzle pivots around, swing it around so it exhausts towar the back. Now, an elbow 9mounted horizintally) will direct it to the side (acoss the back of the blower). One straight piece approx. 24" long to go across the back (right ehind the recoil). One more elbow would then direct it toward the front, and you could connect your rubber flex hose with handle. Now you have a left handed set-up.

6. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Never torn one apart but I would think that you could just rotate the blower housing 90 deg and it would discharge from the bottom left and not the right. Should not have to do much more.

Personally I would like to see them come out with a blower with two discharge tubes, one for both hands, that would be great.

7. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

I would be one of the first people to buy one lol...

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would like that my self. have used 2 hand helds that way before . of course now that i have the redmax 8000-no need for that.just point and blast away

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

theonly problem with doing all of your taking apart of the shroud and flipping it around is the engine still spins the same direction and That would greatly reduce your efficiency...

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. (you beat me to it)
    I doubt it would blow at all with the scroud flipped...