Back pack blower or hand held?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Feb 17, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

So what brand of blower do you prefer and which type backpack or hand held? What are the pros and cons of each? I was going to buy a back pack blower from my dealer but he is trying to talk me out of it and just go with a hand held which is cheaper but the back pack style just seem's more versatile to me? So i will ask the pros thats what i told him!! I love this site! Thanks Guys for all your help!!

2. Guest

Backpack blowers are 2-3 times more productive than handheld in my opinion. The $150-200 difference in price is quickly made up with increased productivity. That being said, Handheld blowers do have their place in the lawn care business. They are good for tight areas like behind hedges and other places where are too tight for a larger backpack blower. Also I prefer them when blowing off roof tops.

As far as who makes the best. Good luck. There are many great machines out there. RedMax, Shin, Stihl, Kawasaki, Echo.... for the money I would pick Echo, I've had good luck with them, but to each, his own.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have 2 back packs Shin and Redmax and a handheld Echo, the handheld just sits around doing nothing 99% of the time.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Buy both and the hand held will stay on the truck. The Stihl is a pretty good machine (had 5 of them), but I will recommend the Redmax EB7000. I would recommend the Shindaiwa EB6200 since that is what we currently use, but after their decision to "outlaw" certain sales :mad: , I will tell you to look to the Redmax.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use the echo BP-601 535cfm at tube-end. Also have handheld echo for tight spots and use it on spring and fall cleanups. Echo just now came out with the BP650-625cfms at the tube 1100 at housing. And alot lighter. Marks Mowing Service

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

backpack-way- to -go.i have a Vandermolen/Windmill and a RedMax eb6200 and will never go back to a handheld blower.only in tight shrubs.i haven't even used my new 8hp Billygoat ground blower since i bought the backpacks!

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't even bother with the hand held. I have a BP and a handheld and can't even tell you the last time I used the handheld. Save the $150 and buy a backpack since that's what you'll need come leaf season anyways.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My use of a blower is limited to the few places
    I cant get to with mower and blowing out gutters.
    The Craftsman 24cc handles those jobs well enough
    Funny thing if poulan name is on it its 200 mph.
    If weedeater name is on it.Its 180 mph.
    Its amazing what a name can do LOL.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Did my in-laws leaves the first weekend with the handheld blower they had, took forever. Two weeks later I did the clean-up again with the new Redmax EB6200 I bought. I was walking around the yard smiling like a little kid on Christmas. Unbelievable difference between the two, I mean not even comparable. The wifes parents just about s*#t when they saw what it could do. No kidding, cut time in half or more. Get the biggest and best you can afford. I'd rather have too much power than not enough, you can always throttle it down in doorways and flower beds. My 2 cents! Good luck with your purchase.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use a Redmax eb6200 and a Shindaiwa eb630. Both are backpack blowers. Hand helds are good for getting leaves out from underneath bushes that are right up against the house. Like Eric said, the hand held just sits there 99% of the time. I bring it along every day so that it doen't get lonely in the garage.