Back Pack Blower: Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Sep 19, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I don't yet have a back pack blower. Most of my accounts have small areas to blow (driveways, sidewalks, etc), and my handheld Stihl has been adequate for that. On the couple I do have that have a larger paved lot, if I need to move more debris than the handheld can handle, I just use the Z in reverse. However, my business is growing, and I just today picked up another account with a large paved lot (church), and I figure a back pack to be among my future purchases.

Now, I get a flyer in the mail yesterday advertising the Shindaiwa's with a substantial rebate. They are advertising the EB8510RTwith the "C4" engine for $449 (suggested retail of $599 with a $150 instant rebate), and the EB360 2-cycle for $419 ($500 minus $80 rebate).

I'm most interested in the EB8510RT and was wondering how many of you have this blower, and your opinon on it, and the Shindaiwa equipment in general. This price is good through the end of the year. My regular dealer carries Shindaiwa equipment, but I've never used any of it.

Thanks. Neill
  2. scalpit77

scalpit77 LawnSite Member

I have not used any Shindiawa epuipment. I wouldn't step up to a big, heavy blower just yet if a hand-held has been getting you by. The Stihl Br420 is not the most powerful, but they're priced right and never let me down. Might want to consider this model as a step toward a larger blower later. Just my $0.02.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If money is a "strong" consideration in this decision, get the Shindaiwa. It is a tube mounted throttle but since you've never really had one, that will be what you're used to.

If money is not as big of a factor and you can go about $100 more, get a RedMax 8001.

I recommend you do get a big blower. You can always throttle down when you don't need the extra cfm's, but you can't throttle up on a small one when you wish you had more.:)
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

5. MOturkey

All Toro. Thanks. Will check it out. Neill
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Anytime MOturkey. As far as Shindy equipment, I have two Shindy string trimmers and both are extremely dependable. One is 7 yrs old, the other about a yr. Never have had a problem with power or reliability with them. As far as the blower and the model you mentioned, can't really comment. I had mixed reviews from my thread and ended up not going with the Shindy C4 engine. Hopefully some others on here who have that model number Shindy can share their experiences.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would not buy a c4 shindy till they get all the bugs out. the shindy 630 is an awesume peice of equiptment and time tested.
  8. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

I think it was at the end of last year when i bought my tanaka. it retailed for 449 and i bought it direct for 299 plus shipping, it was a closeout deal, but you can check with them to see if they'll have anything like that at the end of this year...btw, great blower and worth every penny of 449 if they dont do another special.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the prices on Echo blowers at free shipping and tax free
  10. MOturkey

Went to my dealer's today (bought a new 261T Echo:) ) Anyhow, I was asking him about back pack blowers in general, and mentioned the Shindaiwa rebate. He told me he sells more of the Stihl's than anything else. That is what the volunteer fire departments around here prefer.

He said Shindaiwa makes good equipment, but his major concern is parts availability. He said if I were to need a part for a Shindaiwa, and he had to order it, he would guarantee I'd have a considerably longer downtime than with his other brands (Echo and Stihl). Just thought I'd pass this along.