1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back pack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redwing2, Sep 19, 2007.

1. redwing2

redwing2 LawnSite Member

I am new to this site and would like your opinion on a backpack blower for home use.I have a little over 3/4 acre with lot's of trees. have looked at Red Max 5000, 4100, husky 130,150,and stihl br 360 sorry if this thread doe's not belong here .
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about those other brands but you'll want at least a br-420 and by the time you pay for that you can almost get a 550.
    They're almost the same but the 550 is a little better, you have to decide.

It's about the cfm's / mph.
    I always use the formula AT 200 mph WITH tubes (you'll never use it without, why they even list that spec):
    You want at least around 200 mph's, 5-600 cfm's WITH tubes.
    Because One cfm moves one cubic foot of AIR the distance of one foot, per minute.
    Perfectly dry and fluffy Leaves take about twice as long, the wetter or beotcher they are, the longer it takes on top of that.
    It ain't funny man, you get into some thick leaves and you got yourself 1,000 cubic feet of leaves that need to go 4,000 feet into the woods, that's (1,000 x 4,000) x 2 = 80,000 cubic feet minutes
    So at 600 cfm's plan on 2 hours easy, and you said a lot of trees, see...
    4 hours now, with the 420, trust me, 6-8 hours once it gets hairy.
    Cost you 400'ish thou

I guess you could do it with a lesser model, but you'll have to get out there 6-8 times or more and stay on top of them.
    Or get the right model and 2-3 times and you're done.

Maybe consider renting yourself an 8hp push blower, don't get the 5hp one.
    Cost you 40 or 60 for the day, I have a 10hp push blower and it makes a short afternoon of the worst leaf jobs.
    Again, it's the cfm's x mph, always use anything from 190-200+ mph with at least 600 cfm's, but with push blowers the 5hp is a toy.

You could also rent a backpack, not sure on the cost but push blowers RULE.
    They are a workout, if you can rent yourself a br-600 DO it!
    Or buy it, you get the 600 and you won't come back here asking us how to do leaves. :laugh:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just for reference, my 10hp blower puts out an unbelievable amount of air.
    210 mph x 2,400 cfm's.
    I can hardly stand in front of the outlet, it would probably knock a child on its tail, it takes everything I have to hold my hand in front of that, I can stand 100 feet away and feel it.
    You can put a pile of leaves waist deep however long and wide in front of me and my blower and I will MOVE it!

Like this job, front and back, 4 hours and it was over:

Oh yeah man, nothing except cars, the house, and rooted stuff stands in the way.
    You'll want to move trash cans out of the way and careful around the gravel driveway or it will strip it.
    It's ok on turf, might not be too keen around plants but they'll be awrite and it cleans everything.

You rent an 8hp and you'll love it, that or the br-600 if you want to look smug.
    Hey, you asked, I get the job done, me not like leaves.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since you do the lawn yourself simply mulch the leaves every few days and forget the blowing them all around.....and the 340 will do just fine as a unit to get them out from around the house and off drives .
  5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have trees in texas ed?.....Wait till he gets that big dump of leaves and tries to cut them ...killing his mower and leaving piles of chopped dust...smothering any lawn he has left
  6. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

any of those will blowers leaves fine.
  7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

this is the way i see it. if your already gonna spend a big amount of money, then if you can afford it,go ahead and get the best if at all possible. youll do a better job alot quicker and to me it only makes scents. if your gonna get the best blower then get a redmax 8000 or 8001. unless you dont want to carry so much weight. i have the redmax 8000,3 of them. but if i was a homeowner then i would get a br600 stihl
  8. redwingsfan

redwingsfan LawnSite Member

I have a Redmax 8000 and it works great. I had some smaller units and ended up spending a lot more time using them. I believe the Redmax 8000 is still the most powerful blower and not that much more $$ than any of the others. I have no problem handling the weight of the 8000 either.
    I also have/had some Stihl equipment and have been disappointed with the units and with Stihl's customer service. I had to replace a carb (made in .... china!) on a Stihl that was only a couple years old.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Get a Stihl BR600 at russopower.com
  10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Red Max 8001.