1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Back pack blowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mbigred, Sep 13, 2013.

1. BLUZMAN

BLUZMAN LawnSite Member

After listening to the all the "sage" advice, I decided to go with the RedMax 8500's as most bang for the buck and I have a RedMax dealer/repair shop here in town, though I am buying them online as he wouldn't come down enough to make the purchase locally. Hopefully, I won't need the warranty work!

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Am curious how much you saved buying online instead of supporting your local dealer?

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It may not feel like so much if he ever does need warranty work.;)

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be wrong but if he got a price from the local dealer, perhaps the local dealer didn't care if he bought elsewhere? Dealer could have matched or beat the price if given the chance?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BLUZMAN

BLUZMAN LawnSite Member

Exactly right! I have bought numerous items from my dealer and brought him work from other people as well as my own, so he even suggested that the price I had ($491 vs 544) was too good to pass up and I should buy online. He knows I will continue to support him and him me in the future.
    You don't bite the hand that feeds you :laugh:

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

When leaf piles are to high all leaf blowers suck. Thats when I use walk behind to push them. I dislike walk behind blowers and won't waste time lugging around oversized back pack on wheels.
    Opinions on blowers vary. Use what works and what makes money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

But why not buy the strongest backpack to make money faster...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've yet to see a pile of leaves of any kind that I can't move with my 570. The last couple years I have had piles that were 18"- 2' deep, 35' long and 10' front to back, and I was able to keep them moving at a good enough pace to be sensible, to the point where I needed them to be for tarping. I don't see a reason to have a wheeled blower around when I can do that.

9. echo

Walk behind blowers are definitely a huge time saver on certain properties. Open space there's no comparison.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. echo

So I got a gift certificate to use at a nearby Husky dealer. Bought a new trimmer since except for the tax theres no benefit to ordering online, and was talking to the dealer about the 580 and 570. Go through the whole dealio and since I said I mostly order handhelds online he pulls both blowers out of the box, gas them up and hit the parking lot. While there was no wet grass on the pavement there was gravel on the side of the lot. Baring in mind neither was broken in being brand new, and other than blowing gravel straight into the ground or across the lot, no real field testing was done. IMO the 580 blows a lot harder and quicker. The 570 takes a second or so longer to be wot compared to the 580. As to the difference in weight I can say it was minimal picking them up at the same time. Strapped to my back there is almost no difference except the 570 being less bulky. Other than the end of the tube not being flared there's no difference there. No way to really test the "scouring" difference so if I was doing a lot of "scouring" as been talked about here, I might take the advice of the 570 being better, but for shear power and an all around blower it has nothing on the 580.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013