back pack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron Marshall, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a backpack blower, Stihl's "most powerful blower" has a 172mph air velocity, I saw a model from Fradan the other day, it has an air velocity rating of 236mph. To me that is a big difference, not to mention that I can get the Fradan for under 275 dollars. I have a stihl 4 mix brush cutter and love it, but 64 mph air velocity difference seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Does anyone have any Fradan products? How do you like them, are there any other brands I should check out? :confused: Thanks guys!
  2. Thompson Lawns

Thompson Lawns LawnSite Member
    from OK

Aaron, I use shindaiwa EB630's. More powerful than the stihl and start very easy. More $$ than what you were talking about spending, but worth the extra money...have no experience with the other brand. If they have the shindaiwa in your area I would reccomend checking them out...Also CFM is what you want to look at not MPH.
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Wow!! I have never heard of a fraden. Considerin that this fraden has 64 mph more from the discharge, and it costs $125 dollars less, I would say snatch it up!!! In a year from now, when you have to replace it, you might want to check into a redmax, shindiawa, or an Echo 750....;)
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I think you would want CFM and MPH.
  5. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

i have a stihl 420c magnum, does all i need to do. it is not too heavy to use all day. seems to me comfort is something to look at also. you are going to use it all day, weight is defentially a issue. how much does it weigh?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Fradan is good power tools can't get parts bottom line.
  7. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

alright here are the stats from the two blowers:
    Model BR 420C Blower
    56.5 cc (3.44 cu. in.)
    2.5 kW (3.35 bhp)
    8.9 kg (19.6 Ibs.)
    1500 cc (50.7 oz.)
    With tubes:
    880 m3/h (518 cfm)
    Without tubes:
    1230 m3/h (724 cfm)
    77 m/sec.(172 mph)
    Quiet Only 67 Decibels
    Supercharged Air Intake System Decreases Exhaust Emissions And Increases Fuel Economy
    41 Cc Engine
    Diaphragm Carburetor With Fuel Pump And Purge System
    Electronic Ignition
    Fuel Tank Capacity 6.5 Pts
    Weight 22.7#
    590 cfm
    236 Mph Air Speed

Conclusion: its a little heavier, alot less CC but ALOT more mph and more cfm. I'd never heard of Fradan until i ran across these. Its from the same place I bought my walker from. I will show the web site i see these things on, but am I alowed to do that? Thanks guys
  8. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Fraden's stats for cfm are probably w/out tubes. In that case, stihl beats it on cfm. We have a 6 year old stihl br 400, heavy commercial use, and still runs like a tank. Never replaced a carb.
  9. Gabriel Turf

Gabriel Turf LawnSite Member

Do a search on "Fraden blower" and you will find your answer.

The threads I read had things like "no parts available", "thin support network", but also, "good equipment, starts on first pull".

But, John Gamba "Gave his away!"

I don't think you will regret spending $200 more to buy a Redmax, Echo, or a Shin, when you think of what you will have to do if the machine breaks.

Dealer support should play a large role in your more expensive purchases.
  10. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I used to be a die hard stihl fan until I started coming to this site. I had never heard of redmax till then. My BR420 was stolen so I bought a redmax 7000. I was sold the minute I started using it. Since then I now have a redmax stick edger, weedeater, and another blower (7001). During grass season the extra power doesnt matter to me because grass blows pretty easy. During leaf season is where the redmax leaves my old stihl behind. Plus it blows air on your back while you use it. Ive never demoed any of the other brands but I have looked at the stats. Personally I like the redmax, its a little heavier than my stihl but the extra power is worth it to me.