back pack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Jul 6, 2004.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, heres the deal. I am tired of fighting leaves. I dont do many yards, but still tired of fighting them. Right now i have an echo pb-400e and it stinks. I would love to have one of the big dogs, like redmax 7001 or shindy eb 630 or echo pb 650 but i dont know if i can swing it. Now surely some one hasd used an echo pb400e and a stihl 400 or 420. How much more powerful is the stihl?? How well do the stihls move leaves?? I see alot of people using them in my area, and secondly my stihl dealer might give me a pretty good trade in on my fs 80. So what i am wanting to know is this: I will have proably less than ten yards to clean up then it will be used all summer for clean up after mowing. I have an echo pb-400e right now. would the stihl br420 be a noticeable improvement in power?? And air movement? Would it be money wisely spent given what i am going to use it for? Or should i wait and hope i can swing a big dog later on?? Your opinions are very welcomed.

Later snapper

2. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I LOVE my Husky blower, and if you wanted something bigger, try a 165BT..

I wouldn't trade my Husky for anything.. (just a personal opinion)

-Nick

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i love my stihl, it worked awsome this spring when i dethatched! so im 100% positive its gonna be awsome for fall cleanup! only thing about the stihl is that it can be hard to start at times. but i usually get it started on the 4th pull, and its easy to pull so i dont mind. but i like it alot, i also could use another one, but i think im going to wait for the redmax 8000 series bp blower to come out and ill get that in addition to my stihl magnum 420!

4. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

I bought a eb630 of Ebay for 300 bucks, that is including shipping. IT was brand new. Try to look around for deals, I buy of ebay so I don't have to pay the 8.5% sales tax.

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The only good thing about all these Blowers is,,,,,,, they don't suck!

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This topic comes up rather regularly on this site. I had the same problem as you. Too much time spent on accounts with leaf clean-up. I didn't mess around with some middle of the road blower. I got a Redmax 7001rh and life has been much easier. 2 hour job cut to 45 minutes etc. Dont settle for less than what you know you really need.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Locutus, Don't chump out like I did trying to save a buck.. I bought the Stihl br 420 trying to save some bread, $400 for the stihl, or it would have been @ $ 480 for the big Shin or Echo.. I've regreted it ever since, the stihl is a Major PITA to start, minimum of 4 pulls, and it just isn't as powerful as I wish.. I used an echo 400 a loooong time ago, and I'd say the stihl is stronger, but not near enough. That's my view at least.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Stihl BR320 back pack blower!!!! It really moves the leaves but nothing compared to my 10HP Little Wonder walk behind blower.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Stihl, a Redmax 7000 and Redmax 7001. A Stihl doesn't even belong in the same ballpark as the redmax for leaves. You want to move leaves, get the 7001.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will not use anything except a PB-400e. I have two and a part machines. They just run and run. I got one thats 13 years old and one thats 8 or 9 (got it used from a pawn shop for $30) Its has the same power as the echo PB-46. Its not as powerful as some of these new ones, but it will start everytime. I have seen so many guys strugging with their brand new blowers not starting. Plus it will take a lot of abuse. One of mine has been dropped while taking it out of the truck a couple of times. The other bounced off of the trailer and rolled over a couple of times. Both still run.

The PB-400e is great for driveways and around bushes. If you want to blow a lawn get a little wonder 10hp push blower.

I used a stihl 400 when I used to work at a golf course part time. It was a joke, no power. More than once I snuck home and got my PB-400e. The boss never could figure out how I got the area around club house blown out so fast.

If you plan to get rid of your PB-400e I will give it a new home.