back pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Aug 28, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

the seat on my ztr dane chariot hurts my back now . mowed a bumpy yard 3.5 acres .
    its the part of the seat your back rest on not the bottom .it needs more pad or something.
    the heavy equipment operators that run those big pans take a beating and do it everyday .there seats aint no differant . but they wear seat belts that keeps them from flying out. wonder if a seat belt would help on ztrs? it would keep you from bouncen all over the seat like i did to day and i never had back pains before.
    i will check this post out later i got to find the heating pad.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

how about a racing harness?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

rdh,

Look into a suspension seat. They are spendy, but cheaper than back surgery or a Chiropractor.

Also, NEVER wear a seatbelt on any equipment without a ROPS bar.

Third choice would be to SLOW DOWN!

4. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

rdh, my ztr has springs and bumpers under the seat. I have to replace them twice a year. You might check them out..

David

5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

raser dave ---------it not the bottum of the seat it the back that makes it hurt .
    it made a knot in the middle of my back more to my leftside i cant even stand straight . its like the left rib cage is lower than the right side and i cant straighten up with out pain in my back.

the property was cut before me with some tractor and bush hog and has ruts,roots and bumps every where.
    i fly up out of the seat and it fills like the back of the seat hits my back bone.
    after half done i didnt want to finish but did and made it worse even going slow.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Although it may feel like the pain is being caused by the back of the seat, I don't think it necessarily is. I would look into a suspension seat as mentioned.
    If that doesn't do it, then go ahead and try some padding for the back (and maybe bottom too) of the seat. Just use some foam or something like that.

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sitting back on the seat or foward(back is not touchng seat).My trick is too sit foward to ease the lower back pain. Good luck. P.S. DONT put a seat belt on the mower unless you have a cage(rops) Roll Over Protection System.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I also lean forward like fivestarlawnken does. It takes a lot of the jarring off the back and it sure does build up stomach muscles. :D

I also wear a leather weight lifters belt to help support my back, which is a big help if you have back problems.

9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Never thought of that ERIC ELM , How tight do you have the belt??:D Also Advil helps(i hate taking pills but, some days require it):p

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

BACK PAIN IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS.

Ken