Back Pain

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GradeMan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

What does all the hardscapers do about back pain? I would really like to hear from the older guys, Like the guy who list his socks in his signature. I just thought it would being interesting hearing how everybody handles it. Thanks in advance
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do the patented Rusk method. Blow off work for 2 weeks and go to Vegas and Dallas.
  3. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

Compression shorts, a flexible back belt, and a couple of aspirin before and after a day of heavy lifting. I suit-up like the road warrior when I know theres a heavy day of lifting coming. Damage control. Hasn't failed me yet, after a herniated disc.
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Back pain is generally caused by not having enough muscle in your stomach to support your back. Get yourself in shape (maybe you are already) and get your self some back saving tools, ie employees, excavators, hydraulic wheelbarrows......
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

With the right equipment you can vastly reduce the amount of manual labor you have to put your body through.

Oh yea, i hiring guys to do the work for you helps alot.

Or you could do what dirty water did and quit the business completly. But i heard its easy to get a stiff back sitting in a computer chair all day.
  6. csl

csl LawnSite Member

i have several family memebers who are in the medical field, my dad and brother and physical therapists, so they showed me and my guys a lot of stretches to do during the day. so every two hours or so we do some stretching. sounds kinda fruity but it helps with the fatigue as well. if any of you want i can send you some links to the stuff we do. my dad also showed a lot of our concrete and other specialty contractors too. they said it really helped.

* hey dirty water, who do you work for in redmond. we are located here in spokane.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Employees are the number one way to reduce the strain on your back but its not the cheapest. The best thing I have found to reduce back pain or get rid of it altogether is by using an inversion table every evening after work. The inversion therapy relieves all the day's pain without drugs and the next day your ready to go.
  8. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

drink beer....:drinkup:
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That only works temporarily, then you end up with a big ole gut and back pain is worse. Nice try.
  10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

In order of importance: Better tools, employees, back belt, stretching, beer. I also find it is better to pay an additional worker to help lighten the load so you can work at a slower fast pace for more days in a row instead of beating up a few guys who are useless by thursday.