1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Back Pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobby, Jan 29, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,I was wondering if those of you who have been rideing (bouncing) around on ZTR's for a while are experiencing lower back pain? I like the quality of cut my Walker gives but sometimes if you piss it off, It's more like rideing a bull. Yesteryear L/S P.S All you Chopper fans, please control yourselvs, I was really just wondering about the back pain. (joke)

2. steve

steve LawnSite Member

I reccomend you try out a FERRIS Pro Cut Z W/IS Independent Suspension.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I went to a seat with coils in it for extra comfort. I have had 2 back surgeries before ever mowing, so I needed comfort. As for how long, I have over 4,000 hours of sitting on a ZTR and this seat really helped me a lot. It was $300, but worth every penny of it to me. :) BTW, this was post 2000, this forum is really growing.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>

4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

eric what type of mover did you put it on and where can i get a seat like that<br>

5. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I second Steve's motion.<p>John

6. This is a BIG problem that the other ZTR owner/operators in this forum fail to address<p>B/4 I went into business for myself over ten<br>years ago I was a rate clerk, supervisor, and<br>salesman in the trucking industry.<p>The amount of back problems that the truck<br>drivers had was a common occourance.<p>All the trucks had air ride seats and some<br>even had air ride cabs and the drivers still<br>had back problems (career ending).<p>I can stand on a sulky all day and then<br>go out dancing at night. The machine of the<br>future in lawn care is the stand on rider.<br>They cost less, are lighter, more compact<br>than any ZTR.<p>BTW I don't know how you ZTR guys can sit<br>on those machines all day. A few weeks ago<br>I drove 1150 miles in over two days to<br>pick up a used piece of equipment. By the<br>end of the trip I was so uncomfortable I<br>could not wait to get out of my pickup.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

bdemir, DC seat on a DC<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

8. jjb51

jjb51 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Anybody have information on the new Turf Rider Sulkies for pick-up trucks? I hear they are a real back saver.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, Walker has a new seat available as a replacement for the factory seat. I have sat on it at a show in Toronto, it is nice but big $'s. It should be on their web site under new products.