Back problem

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Martee, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Well I am really bummed out today! :cry: I was working yesterday at customers house doing mowing and I bent over to pick something up and couldn't stand back up. When I did get back up I was in major pain couldn't even walk. Stood there for a few minutes then tried to ignore it and continue on, couldnt do it. I had to have my customer help me get my ramps down from my truck and close things up and I had to leave my equipment on her lawn while I went to my chiropractor. He thinks its a muscle spasm but not sure, as of today I still can hardly walk and cant bend at all. Hurts to sit, walk or stand. I just started this business this year and have my schedule full and now I cant go out and do anything. I dont know what to do, I dont have a employee and have called for help and no one can seem to help me this week so all my customers are gonna just sit and wait and then I am gonna be way behind, any suggestions from anyone?

2. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

First off from now on when you pick anything up squat down and lift with your legs. I've been in your position a few times and trust me, I know what you're feeling like. Did the doc prescribe any muscle relaxers?

You're going to have to find someone to help you keep up. How's your network? Do you know any of the other LCO owners in your area. If your customers are on hold for too long you'll be in trouble.

3. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Dr didnt give me muscle relaxers, I have been taking alot of Ibuprofen, not doing much tho. I do pretty good at squatting to pick up heavy things I was just bending over to move a cord that was in my way at the time, but I had been picking up barrels of grass the lawn before as we here in the northwest have to pick up grass cause its too wet. I need to start wearing a back belt I guess (dummy me) I hope its not a disc he said I could have had a disc move.
    I have checked with a few friends that mow also and they cant help me so I am gonna call a few others that I can sub out my work If I can or my husband is gonna come home early from work everyday and help me to do the mowing's I can wait on the weeding and cleanups they all understand. But lawn gets longer and longer if I dont go there.
    This really stinks big time.

4. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Backs are funny. I got a muscle spasm in my lower back one time standing up from the "throne". True story. I was going to say don't laugh but go ahead, it's funny now. Not so much at the time. I don't know what that was all about. Now I get the occassional upper spine distortion out of the blue. I go to the chiropractor and he cracks everything back into place and I'm off and running for another couple of months until it happens again. Kinda sucks walking around with your head down because you don't have a choice.

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

You have to do everything possible to get those accounts taken care of. You don't want to wait too long and then you'll start losing them one by one.
    Most of all, get yourself rested and back to 100%. If you don't, this will happen again and may be more serious and put you down and out for the whole season. I know it's hard, but get better. Good luck to you and a speedy recovery.

6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 1 back surgery, they want to do my neck now. I feel for ya. I'm convinced it was from my laser. We switched to the 500 dollar suspension seats and did a world of good. How they ever sold them without a suspension ill never know. I grin and bear it but its tough, real tough. Definately have it checked and take it easy, Even if yo uneed to get a part timer to help.

7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Get an MRI to find the real reason of the pain and go from there.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Being that it's your back, you might go see a doctor but it's likely just a pinched nerve or some bs, still whatever you do it is at your own risk.

Pain don't stop me from working, it only slows me down long enough for me to administer some first aid, then I'm back up and running because I don't got time for the pain.

I take Motrin, great stuff.

9. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Yea I take ibuprofen 800 and it helps the pain but the pain isnt the real big problem the problem is I cant lift my left leg more than about 2" from the ground. I went back to chiro today and got a massage also and now it is getting better, but still only can lift my leg about 6" from the ground, I went into town today to the dr and could hardly even get in the truck have to take my hands and lift my left leg into the truck. This really sucks big time I know that for sure. I sit with ice for a while and it actually hurts more to sit so have to get up and stand for a while, then lay, then back again all over.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Then you have never pulled a muscle or slipped a disc in your back..