1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back Problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGG Lawn Maintenance, Jun 21, 2000.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

This year my back has really been killing me<br>I've tried taking pills and it didn't work too much. What do you do for your bad back?<br>I am too young to have a bad back (28).A friend of mine had the same feeling he went to a chiroprator he told him to find a new line of work. I want to do this until I'm 95 years old LoL. Please give me some ideas!!!<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
  2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Travis,<p>I went through this two years ago, started just after I turned 30. The first thing I did was cancel all heavy-lifting and twisting jobs (hauling, tree trimming, etc.) and get back to the basics (namely lawn mowing). My doctor had me taking 3-4 Advil 3-4 times a day for pain and advised me to keep working, as normal activity is better for the healing process than lying about.<p>However, I had a very specific condition: lumbar sprain. There are different conditions (slipped disk, pinched nerve) that require different remedies. See your doctor. I never went to a chiropractor or acupunture, though many swear by them, so I'd advise seeing a regular doctor first.<p>Oh yeah, I also bought and wore a back brace for the longest time.<p>Today, knock on wood, my back is as healthy as ever. It didn't knock me out of the industry or stop me, it just slowed me for a while. <p>Remember, though, everyone's different. See your doctor ASAP.<p>-TGC
  3. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I am 44 years old and just started doingyardwork this April. I've done all kinds ofwork but have been working on computers for the last ten years or so. I'm not super strong and I have kind of a bad back to begin with - I was diagnosed with scoliosis (curvature of the spine) when I was about 12.Supposedly there is no cure for this.I have always been interested in yoga but it wasn't until about 4 years ago that Ibegan to practice it. Yoga is a science, not a religion. There are many aspects to yoga - hatha yoga is the physical yoga, the practice of asanas (postures). This is what most people think of when they think of yoga. Hatha yoga is a very scientific way of getting the musculo-skeletal system in shape and keeping it there. It has to do with both stretching and strengthening of muscles. There are many types of hatha yoga. The two main schools would be Iyengar yoga and Ashtanga yoga. Both are good. I practice Ashtanga yoga, which has more structure to it - the classes are bascially the same anywhere. This is a very rigorous workout but it can be as easy as you want it to be. Its nothing like what most people would picture yoga to be like. Many atheletes practice yoga along with whatever other training they do. There are even football teams that practice yoga. Since starting to do hard work outdoors everyday, I find it is more important for me to keep doing yoga. It definitely helps to iron out work-related tension. I am lucky enough to be able to go to a class 6 days a week. If you can find a good teacher in your area, you may be able to just go long enough to learn enough to practice on your own. The Ashtanga practice is hard enough that I find I have to go to the class to make myself do it. I have so much deep tension that my progress is slow but it is definitely helping. Yoga is probably the best way to deal with any back problems, and it is quite a bit cheaper than surgery, pills, or visits to the chiropractor. A lot of yoga people aren't into weight-lifting but I think body-building is also good if done carefully. The current issue of Yoga Journal has a big article on body-building and yoga. My yoga teacher doesn't work out with weights but he looks like a bodybuilder - yoga can make you really strong.<p>I have a website with a page of yoga links:<br>http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/yoga.htm<p>There are some websites listed there that can help you locate teachers in your area.<p>Let me know if I can help with more info and be careful with your back!<p>tslade@ionet.net<p><p><p><p><p><p>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: yardmonkey<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: yardmonkey
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Go visit a good Chiropractor. Pills only cover the problem, they don't solve it. I hurt my back at 24, was treated my MD's for about 8 months, pills helped but the problem was still there.<p>On the advice of my mother-in-law I found a Chiropractor that attended that Palmer School of Chiropractic, he checked me, gave a treatment plan, and in one visit my pain was reduced 80%!!! It took about 2 weeks of visits every 2-3 days but I was back to 100%, no pills or pain.<p>The best way I've heard it described is this. If you have a body part out of alignment it takes time to straighten it, teeth need braces and years, obviously you can't put a brace on your back all of the time. So, it takes getting a proper adjustment along with proper exercise to strengthen the muscles and tendons to help the back &quot;brace&quot; itself. Makes sense to me.
  5. Travis what kind of machines do you use?
  6. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I am not in lawn care but I like to keep up my place and I like to work and I have a bad back.<p>1. Full suspension seat from Northern Tool.<br>2. Wear a brace<br>2. Soft wide low pressure tires.<br>3. See a good Chiropractor or a Physical Therapist <br>4. Join a gym. (Back problems come from SOME muscles not being strong enough) Your hard work doesn't address all muscles.<br>5. The hardest and most important. Learn to say &quot;No, I can't do, lift, move that.) That is awful but You've got to do it.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

THE GO TO THE REGULAR DOC FIRST WAS GREAT ADVICE. I have been having lower back problems for the past 3 years. I started getting really into herbs at the time. Well turns out they caused me KIDNEY problems. Some kind of infection. Well lots of thing can cause kidney problems too. Coffee, tea, cokes ,lack of water, back strain or injury at one time can let bacterior get into the kidneys.The doc gave me urside or something like that. I had drink PLENTY of water and took vit c. The back pain had moved up to the middle of my back as well as lower. Just the internal infection spread to the external. I turned 40 today and and no more back pain WOHOO.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles
  8. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 40 and my back hurts all the time.Twenty years bouncing around on riders? I just sold my Walker and im going to try a walkbehind.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla
  9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I don't have back problems, Thanks god, but the yoga idea sounded real good, just the stretching alone would be a good work out. I was into Tae Kwon Do for a while , that was the best shape i was ever in, even with tree climbing and other work. It improves your posture treemendously and you get a lot of frustration out pounding on the bags and other people! I'll be going back as soon as i can find some good people to pass some responsibilites to.
  10. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Thanks guys for all the advice. Thats what makes this site great we all can learn something from each other. I use 48&quot; Bobcat mowers as I have for years. I might plan to get a rider some time this year or next year.<br>Maybe a Bobcat ZTR. My girlfriend works for one of the best doctors in our area so when he has time he&quot;ll check out my back for free.<br>Thanks again!!! Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance