back to little fixtures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Okay, I swore I'd never use MR 11's but here I am.

Does anyone know a long lasting MR 11 bulb, better yet, MR 8?? As well as a good housing. My last customer wants me to come back and illuminate a nice intimate patio area (screened) with tropicals, hot tub, etc.

My preference would be a project with one or two primary fixtures styles, based on all MR 11's, or even 8's if the bulbs are reliable and the fixtures are awesome.

I look forward to the responses.

Tanks.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Again Mike,
    The equivalent to an MR-11 lamp I've found to be most satisfactory is the AR-11 Xenolux, available for a small number of fixtures from FX in 20 W and 35 W.

Why nobody else appears to employ this lamp is a mystery to me.

The DCB socket is more durable than a bi-pin and holds the lamp in place better for downlighting (See the FX TS-20). The lens is frosted and has a glass front. I haven't seen it used in an uplight though...

For uplights FX offers Xenolux MR-8s and MR-11s in both 20 W wide and 20 W narrow.

http://www.fxl.com/FX_Lamp_chart.pdf

3. Mike M

from usa

Greg;

I hope I am not to blame for all that messin around playin with all those user cp features! :laugh:

4. irrig8r

Oh... you noticed, huh?

:eek:

5. Mike M

from usa

Look man, take my advice.

Avatars and signature images are delicate impressions which reflect our most personal, inner-selves. That being said, I am highly against using them in the fear I may offend someone.

Mike

6. Mike M

from usa

Xenolux MR-8s

Thanks Greg. Looks like I may have to look into FX. Those specs look interesting.

7. Mike M

from usa

FX website, boasting ten year warranty:

"No other lighting manufacturer has the confidence in their products to offer this type of guarantee because no other manufacturer has worked so hard to identify and resolve potential problems before they occur. Our commitment to designing and fabricating the very finest components assures your clients years of trouble-free enjoyment from their FX lighting system."

8. irrig8r

Well, back when they began, a 10 year warranty was pretty good. They can't practically offer anything longer on aluminum fixtures, though they probably should on their copper and brass.

I have no idea what Kichler or others guarantee with their aluminum... Nightscaping's is 10 years though...

9. Mike M

from usa

Greg,

It ain't the ten year, it's the funny quote after it.

But please, discard that. 10 years is fine. I'm tyring to get some quotes online. I'm also trying to find all the manu's that have cool little fixtures for those lamps.

Something appealing about a portrait around a little indoor tropical scene with slick mr 8's. Kinda cool when the knuckel is the same size as the housing. As long as I can count on the 8's burning a solid year. Don't want those neat fixtures failing me.

I might go with niche mr 16 down lights and a couple ups, just to be safe. But I like the specs/info on the 11's you linked.

10. irrig8r

Kichler (this is about the most stringent warranty I've run across):

We warrant the Kichler Landscape product featured on this site will be free from defects in material and workmanship for five years (with the exception of light bulbs and Kichler non-Landscape lighting products). We warrant our transformers in the Textured Architectural Bronze finish will be free from defects in material and workmanship for 10 years.....

...Seller’s warranty does not apply to any Products that have been subjected to misuse, mishandling, misapplication, neglect (including but not limited to improper maintenance), accident, improper installation, improper packaging of products returned to Kichler, modification (including but not limited to use of unauthorized parts or attachments), or adjustment or repair.....

....Finishes for fixtures installed outdoors are subject to change due to prolonged exposure to sunlight, airborne pollutants and other forms of weathering....