1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

back to the lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iamthelawnman, Feb 13, 2007.

what do you like

Poll closed Feb 28, 2007.
  1. having grass stick to you and it hotter then hell?

51 vote(s)
  2. or some jerk off of a manager riding you all the time

3 vote(s)
  1. iamthelawnman

iamthelawnman LawnSite Member

folks i just have to say that i put my trimmers up on the rack for the last two years. gave my biss. up to my brother and went on to sales. and i am back baby i am back. i cant stand working for other people, but my self. how do you all feel? let me know? do you enjoy the hot sun getting rained out in the summer, with grass in your hair and all the b.s or would you rather have some jerk of a manager rideing you to the ground and have to punch in and out and so on and so on?
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i sat out most of last year save for a few close to my house. i took a full time job in late 2005 and while i'll still be at it, i'm going to jump back in pretty hard this coming season. best of luck to ya, we'll all be cutting before you know it.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have been working at a shop and Landscaping on he side for a few years now. I am really looking forward to the day when I cna be totally self employed! My boss has been very good to me but my goal in life was to own my own business and nothing else will cut it or come close.
  4. iamthelawnman

ok who is the dum grass who wants to work for some one other then them self? ( look at the poll)
  5. iamthelawnman

A bad day working for yourself is better than a good day working for someone else! <><
    :drinkup: :hammerhead:
  6. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

now if you'd have said, would you rather have "a hot chick manager sticking to you in the grass", I would have chosen that one.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Been through some pretty good times and some pretty bad times in the last 12 years, and even on the coldest, wettest, nastiest, most aggravating, money losing day, I would still rather have my business than go back to working for someone else.
    Hey 5 years and my 1,000th post!
  8. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

yah ive been at climate controlled warehouse job since high school....this year will be first full time mowing
  9. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Sold my business 2 years ago, now working as the general manager of a large design, install, and maint. company. This was the best descision I have made in business. Salary, health insurance, and a 401k. Hard to beat that. I am taking home more money now then when I had my business. My service was great and earned a lot of money, however now I get a paycheck every two weeks all year long and I have great respect for my owner. My case maybe a little different than most, but I won't go back to the solo service as long as I can keep doing what I'm doing.
  10. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

if only employers around here treated you like a human instead of scum i would have no problem working for some one else! i will pick up cans on the side of the road before i work for another company.at least i know how to treat others! i may be red-neck but my customers are gold!