Back to work soon!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Well Its almost that time again! I checked last years schedule and we were running a full schedule the first week in April! It seems like it is still pretty cold.around 40's-50's and some 60's,Ive already seen those goofy onions starting to come up! We are going to knock out a bunch of cleanups ,mulch jobs and other odd jobs the last week in March,so we can concentrate on mowing come April.I always get worried this time of year that it will stay cold well into April! I truly hope this year is better than last,I cant handle another drought like last year.Also I have raised about 30 customers rates,too bad most of it will go into my truck as prices here are $3.45/gal!!! I have decided to buy a diesel truck this year and convert to the used veg. oil fuel,Ive been seeing reports on this more and more on the news lately,My only concern is that the more people that do this,the less oil that will be available at the fast food joints.Anyway good luck to everybody.
  2. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

How much does the used oil from fast food go for?
  3. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

The people being interviewed on the news said the fast food joints were giving it to them free. But most of these people had little diesel cars and only needed around 10-20 gallons a month,I think A full size diesel truck would use around 40-50 gallons a week??? Even if I had to buy new veg. oil by the drum, I would think it would still be cheaper than pump diesel?
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag:Yep time to get with it again..i was planing on working this week but the weather-man says heavy rain for the next 3 days, guess ill wait and see, The price for diesel fuel here in southern indiana is 455 per gallon still you should save alittle with a diesel engine vs gas on your mowers.....Marks Mowing Service
  5. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Depending on the sales, a fast food place might have about 1000-1500 lbs of oil a month. Dont know what that translates into gallons though.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm almost into my regular weekly schedule now. We had a warm Feb and March so far and things greened up early this year.

Diesel is $3.999 here. Gas just went down to $3.219. You can keep that diesel truck.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Almost time for you maybe.
    I have some plow piles that are still 10 to 15 feet high. The shaded side streets have piles at least 3 feet and everything will be very wet for quite some time. It has not even been much above 40 since December (figure that one out).
    Last year I was working in March now I will be really pressed to get out by the second week in April. Global warming my AZZ.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Mow Ed - yeah, you guys got hit pretty good over there with the snowfall this year. I hope that you don't get any more big ones from here on out.

We can see a lot of turf here now...melting has taken off the snow cover, all but the snowbanks and they are melted down pretty good. I would like to start tree/shrub trimming end of the month (March) and hopefully transition to fert/mowing end of April/beginning of May.
  9. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

we started cutting around April 5th...then it snowed the next week. Not much, but enough to cut down on phone calls and mess my schedule up. That was in Virginia.