Back to work what could go wrong on the first job of the season ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I decided to get an early start , called in locates last week and was cleared .
    Fire up the machine and while it was idling all the oil ran out of the engine , my guys replaced the filter , but left the old gasket on it . Ran and got oil while helper cleaned up mess on the road. Things are going well till the helper starts throwing up , food poisioning , I take him home , another delay . I go about plowing the pipe and I smell gas , but I am no where near the marks , it wasnt strong , well next thing fire is blowing out of the ground 20 feet behind me . Shooting 10 ft in the air . Now I dropped my helper off , but he met me at the job , guess where his truck was parked , or should I say whats left of his truck . Fire dept shows up , gas co shows up and locate co shows up . Helpers truck is toast , roads blocked off , houses evacuated . Locate superviser shows up and tells me I am responsible , whoa , I show him the flags , he says I moved them , he is asking for all types of info until the customer shows him the before pictures he took with the marks 6 feet off from where I hit . I got all his information for the insurance for the helpers truck .

I hope things get better from here

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks man. Good luck with getting it resolved properly. Why didn't they paint the locates as well?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need a :drinkup: and then a :sleeping:. Maybe tomorrow will be :clapping: and not :cry:

hee hee hee

4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I had that happen with a phone cable once- marks were off by 6 feet.

But not gas!

How deep were you plowing?

5. Mdirrigation

The gas line was a service to the house about 8 inches deep

6. Mdirrigation

They painted them and flagged , but were easy 6 to 8 ft off , when the fire dept put out the fire they turned the yard to a muddy mess , it was a bare dirt job waiting for sod

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that code?

I would have thought 18" minimum for a gas line?

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped trusting locates a while ago.

9. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Well.. I guess there's an important lesson about trying to start a season too early...

Glad that all people are OK..the rest is just stuff, it can be replaced.

10. That is a season's worth of trouble at once. It can only go uphill from here. Will probably end up being your best year ever.