Back to work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Went back to work today. Working about 20 miles from home, not too bad. Big job I'm told, we're doing bulk dirt work right now. Big dig for another building in Redmond, for those of you locals, I suppose you could take a stab and figure out who it's for. Running 3, PC400's loading trucks and pups, a D8L is feeding the piles. I'm told we've contracted over 50 trucks, they're turnin and burnin about once per hour, gets a little hectic. I'm running around on a roller keeping the haul road out of the pit nice and smooth every once in a while. We're building another haul road down into the pit tomorrow so we can wipe the old one, so I'm packing lifts of fill as a dozer blows in benches as we stair step down the slope. Was walking up 2:1 slopes with the roller today, strap up for that one. The other half the day I was spreading gravel with a 580L, good 'ol PowerTan. Best part is, we worked 11 hours today and it looks like that's the way things are going to go for a little bit anyway. Gotta love OT.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta feel good getting a paycheck rolling in.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You said it. I'm just happy to be somewhere with a check coming in, don't really care what I'm doing, it all pays the same for me. This sure beats my last dispatch, but I would have been fine with that as well, it was definately closer. Takes me almost an hour to get home at night from this job. :cry: Oh well, cash is cash and the company I'm with is pretty good size. Hopefully we'll steam through the winter on this job, crossing my fingers.

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

glad to hear it,getting paid for all the time you put in must be great!.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hey roller drivers are people too...haha

good to hear you got with a little more interesting of a company...keep at it and get that CDL before its too late...if you do get laid off use the downtime to get it, would your union allow that?

6. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh cool, I'll have to swing by and look at the job. I thought you were on the west side and done living in Chelan? You change your mind? More work over here I'd imagine.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My union will train and test me for my CDL. We can drive for non-union companies in the off season as well. That's also an option assuming I can afford an entire month at the training grounds if it comes around. I definately plan on getting it this year or next spring, I absolutely have to be back to the grounds right around the time I have 1,500 working hours for another month (160 hours) of required training. I think I can use the CDL class as my hour requirements for the year.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've been in Chelan since June, came back last week for 2 days of work, went back last Friday to work this week for my old man, then I get called again on Tuesday night for work Wednesday AM. I was called at 7:30 on Tuesday night and I'm 3 hours away from the job, gotta get all my crap in the car and head out. Got about 3 hours of sleep that night, made it through an 11 hour day, though.

9. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

oh no thanks....haha

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

heck yea man...welcome to the iron world...lets see in the last 3 nights i managed 8 hours of sleep (at faults of my own...women have that power i guess) and ran anywhere from 10 to 12.5 hour days...but firing up that diesel every morning is enough to wake any man up:weightlifter: