1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back up equipment

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by eggy, Dec 21, 2000.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many of you smaller operaters have a back up piece of equipment and if you dont have one what is the plan of attack. I can see a profit in snowplowing here in South Central Indiana with a older truck and plow but cant hardly see one with new equipment. We operate 2wd trucks in the lawn care buisness, and really have no need for new trucks., the idea is to find a older 4wd truck and buy a new plow(for next year) but we are awful scared of a break down at 4am with no place open and no back up...we would hate to take on good mowing customers next year and loose them due to poor snow removel services...any suggestions??/ideas???
  2. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I only have one truck, it's new,but I don't have a back up. I have a couple of numbers of local landscapers who will help me out if needed.

I hope I don't have to use those #s this year!
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 trucks,and honestly I could get away with one,up to 4-5",then i would be behind ,and with 2,everyhting gets done quickly and i know i still have a backup.Im not sure im ready to hire an employee,thats the limiting factor,my wife and i are doing ll the work,not sure if its worth the exra $$ verses the risk of another operator,workers comp,etc and then I couldnt use him all year,i wouldnt expect anyone to want that type of job,unless they were the boss.If we get the big one,Ill be OK,no reason to worry,that is the biggest reason i have 3 trucks.I have less money than one new one in all 3 of them and they are good reliable trucks that run great and plow just as fast as a new truck.I hope we get the big one,so the operators that are just getting by,go down the tubes and we cleanse the local system of underpriced,under equipped,operators that have been able to survive here for the last 6 years or so.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 12-21-2000 at 10:45 PM]
  4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks John that said a lot....Kinda wish nthat would happen in mowing too.....We have back up mowing equipment...I guess another idea is two purchase two older trucks and one plow and set up the other with the mount....I would think that very little goes wrong with the plow itself
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

My "back up" is friends. It works both ways, I cover them if they break down, and they cover me. It is understood I will do my accounts before theirs, and they would do theirs before mine. Since we are REAL friends, we don't bid against each other. Like I have said before, discuss your prices with others who plow in your areas, and you will find out who your real friends are.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have that bac kup system in place as well.Chuck,didn think it would help though when a business opens at 8 and its 10 of 7 and your truck is dead,friends cant get there for 3 hrs yet-nothing like a backup truck then.I have family and friends that i would help in a heartbeat,and have.I can call on any of them,I used to sub for a lot of them too,so they know my work and i know them very well.
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have a back up truck an 93 F 250. Only I use it to plow the shop, because I have yet to use it as a back up.

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have one plow, but have mounts, controls and pumps on two trucks. If one truck goes down all I have to due is just pull the pins and mount plow on other truck and go!

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

one complete spare truck (old) plow and all works well sits most of the time use it a couple of times a month to keeps the problems shaken out but a dedicated spare. invaluable

cost possibly 2000.00 well worth it much less than the price of gaining a lost good paying customer
  10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Just a question. What happens if the plow breaks? Then you have 3 trucks and no plows, for what used plows cost, do yourself a favor and buy another one.