back up lights on trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by corey4671, Apr 18, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

hey guys. I have that big funky rv trailer plug on my silverado. I'm looking to mount some lights on the trailer that come on when the reverse lights come on on the truck. has anybody else done this? is there a tab on the trailer plug for reverse lights?
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

yes the light blue wire is the reverse lights
  3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

cool thanks. isn't there also a hot wire? say if I wanted to have a work light...
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there should be both on a 7 pin RV plug. If I had my diagram close by I could tell you what lug is always hot, but you can test for it easier than I could tell you anyway. A few times a year I wish I had back-up lights on my trailer. Backing into my carport in the dark is a little sketchy, unless I want to get out and walk up to kick the motion sensor light on before I start to back in, lol.
  5. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I mounted a set of the $20.00, 55w back up lights from Meijer's on my trailer. Works pretty good. The only thing I may do is put 100w bulbs in to make it even brighter to see! I monted them just under my brake lights using 2 strips of 1" or 1.5" wide flat steel using the brake light studs to attach them to the trailer. I drilled new holes in my licence plate & used the b/u light blots to hold the plate on. Sorry, but no pics.

Good luck,