1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Back up Lights

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SCL, Dec 26, 2000.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use auxiliary backup lights like add-on driving lights or fog lights?

Will the normal backup light circuit carry the added duty of these types of lights or do you need to rig some kind of relay?

What other types of arrangements do any of you use?

Thanks and Happy New Year
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

We run all our back up lights off 7 wire trailer plugs. No splicing or tapping and works everytime.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I use the plug also I mount backup lights and on the sanders flood light that are on with the running lights. These are the round tractor type lights. Lots of rear lighting for sander and backing.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We just wire up a couple of flood lights to a switch on the dash that way when we plow we turn them on, and off as we leave the area.
  5. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

On my lawn truck I have tractor lights for backup lights. For my plow truck I bought a set of halogen backup lights made by trailblazer. They come with a relay, and a toggle switch. I spliced into the factory backup circuit. That way I can turn the toggle to on and have the auxillary's light up with the factory lights when I put it in reverse. Or I can toggle them off leaving only the factory back ups. The trailblazers are a lot brighter than the tractor type lights. But they aren't cheap. Off the top of my head I think I paid about 60 bucks for them. I was going to get aftermarket driving lamps, until I found the halogen back ups.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 4 tractor lights for backing up plus my rear twin 55watt work lights on the Whelen Towmans edge bar light. Those $9.00 tractor lights work great they have a trapaziod light beam instead of a flood. They give a wider light angle then flood. Northern tool has them http://www.northertool.com
  7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a ciggret plug powerd flood ontop the spreader put a brighter bulb in the licence plate light to see the spinner better

sorry about the sp its later
  8. Amber colored lights adorn all my trucks white lights hit the snow and reflect back. Hooked to a dash switch they are used only when we want. jammin
  9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a pair of rectangle lights that were made specifically to mount to my trailer hitch. They work great. I'm just worried about breaking them off if I back up into a snow pile.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have (had?) two spots mounted to either side of the hitch reciever, every major storm one or both get bent/broken/torn off from backing over/through 3 foot piles of snow. Next time they come off they are staying off. If I mount them high enough to be out of harms way they would be pretty useless. IMO.