1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Back Yard Gates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fel, May 17, 2005.

1. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

How many of you guys have a problem getting in gated back yards with the mower, so far I have not had this issue come up but with picking up more residentials, I am wondering if I need to invest in a 36 w/b??
    Is this something I need to be looking at or is it a waste of funds????

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have to homes with gates and i can get my 36" through the gate i think that 36" mowers are a good investment because u can get into small back yards and u can use them on steep hills that u can't use the ztr on
    hope this helps a little
    alex

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

only time will tell.... since u said u don't have any problems rite now, i think u answered ur own question...

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to pack my 36 with us a lot, but I bought and 48 hydro and if I manuver it just rite, I can get thru most gates the 36 was used for. A foot bigger cut really helps speed things up in back yards.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have several gates that are exactly and I mean exactly 36" wide . Its sometimes hard to get the 36" exmark through these gate .....it gets wedged in there and I tug and pull till it squeezes through.....pain in he back side

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Try tilting it?

7. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

i cut alot of yards that my 36 cant get into so i bought a 32 w/b and it fits in the yards with tight gates

8. JB Landscape

JB Landscape LawnSite Member

Don't take yards like that.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

i cut 7 on weekly cuts the gates are 36 inches,we use a simplicity 34 inch hydro.sometimes we push mow.

10. Ross Gerard

Ross Gerard LawnSite Member

If its an old gate why not offer to replace it for the customer with a larger one. Customer pays for materials, you do the labor and use a 52Z and get the job done in much less time.