Backcharging General contractors

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by goldenone, Dec 7, 2006.

1. goldenone

goldenone LawnSite Member

Doing commercial landscaping and irrigation work seems to be more than I thought it would be.

The GC im working for keeps trying to dump more and more work on me.
    I keep telling him in not in my contract to do this.

The dirt work guys quit and he says it up to me to do the work. (GUYS DRIVING ME NUTS):hammerhead::cry: :cry: :cry:
    He insist that it's in my contract which i have confront him to point it out to me he can't.

I know that if I start doing the work the GC and architects will say I have to do it at no extra cost to contract.

I'm new to the GC games and was wondering if any one has dealt with this before and how can I backsharge the GC in this matter.

If there is someone that has any info. in the matter your advise would be well respected.:cool2:

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if the other work isn't in your contract then write one up for the extra work and have the guy sign it before you do any of the extra work if he refuses then don't do the extra work. There must be a reason the dirt guy quit, maybe the GC wasn't paying him to do the work

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do the extras for free this time then the GC will always expect it for free. Get a contract and make him pay for the extra work. Don't let him get over on you

4. goldenone

goldenone LawnSite Member

I have refused to do the work and It's really starting to back me up (1 month).
    when I ask about adding $$$$ to the contract he will change subject or say it is in my contract.

Why did I get into this business? (for the long hours or low pay, less sleep)

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You need to get a change order and get it signed. Also if you have already started the job take pictures and document every conversation regarding the hold up. Some states will not let you walk off the job before completion even if you are not getting your draws on time, find out your rights.

Remind me why everyone wants to do commercial work? I don't miss it a bit.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It's good if you're the one making the rules & not waiting on someone else.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't play with people who think they are important.

8. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Do exactly what your contract states. DO NOT do anything additional without a signed change order authorizing the work. Send any correspondance via certified mail. Don't let the GC bully you around. Keep plenty of Maalox around.

9. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Change orders are high profit margin.
    Fixing others mistakes can make the difference between a so-so job and a great job.
    The change order documents the problem identified, your solution to fix the problem, and your charge($) to follow up and make it happen. To a GC time is even more important than money...the loan and bills keep piling up and he must finish to get paid. Become his expediter, charge well, and offer him those options.
    Make sure you have a system in place to generate the order, GET A SIGNATURE, and quickly followup with the invoice.