Backfilling walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnkid, Mar 31, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Question for you expert retaining wall guys. What is NCMA specs for backfilling a retaining wall? There is a wall approximately 8' in height going up around my area by another contractor where it's being backfilled with 411( 2" less with screenings) or what some guys call modified 2-A and compacted. I always thought it was spec to backfill with clean 57's and compact for proper drainage. I've always been taught to use clean 57's. Can walls be backfilled with 2-A and compacted or is this guy asking for a blowout???? I'll try to snap some pics later today.

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

it is supposed to be backfilled like you said with 3/4 clean stone. he may be back-filling the over dig in the reinforced soil area with 2a and 3/4 alone the back of the wall. it would be hard to tell if it was 3/4 12" out from the back of the wall and then 2a the rest of the way with out looking close at it.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It is perfectly acceptable to backfill the grid zone w/ modified stone or select backfill, but your 1' drainage zone directly behind the wall must be a free draining stone (57's, 2B)

Chris

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Or only 6" with a solid block accordingly to NCMA, which i think would be a real joke. 8' wall Hmm, I would have 3-4' of clean stone (57's) take a lot of pressure off of that wall. But thats how i do them every one has there theory.
    Mike

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, I think you mean 6" if it's a hollow core block filled with stone. 1' for solid block. I think!

Chris

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your exactly right i had it ass backwards. I spent 9 hours of honey do today worse than working.
    Mike