backfire on KAW

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Nelson Lawns, May 11, 2006.

1. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

Friend's SZ 25/52 KAW is backfiring, through the intake air filter, every now and then on startup.

Also when engaging blades it backfired today.

Any ideas?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmm......
    I am not sure on that one....
    There is a fuel solenoid that is supposed to stop this from happening, but it is more for shut down, not start up....
    Have him e-mail me and I can get our customer service guys on this and find out what it is.

Pj

3. jledbett

jledbett LawnSite Member

my new Mini backfires almost everytime I shut it down (19 Kaw.) What should I do

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Let the unit run for a 30 seconds or so before shutting it down at idle, if that doesn't work shut it off at full throttle, if that doesn't work, e-mail me and I will get it looked into.
    Some of these engines have a way with shutting down, Kohlers are usually the opposite of the Kawasaki's, as they like to be shut off at full throttle.

Pj

5. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

My new Mini does the same, I let it idle for about 15-20 seconds and it stops it.

6. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I let mine idle for about 2 mins. or else it will backfire like clockwork. It is a 25 kaw. I don't like wasting time waiting to shut it off but like the backfire even less