1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backfire on Lazer

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by joe2106, Aug 1, 2004.

1. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I have a brand new lazer z with 5 hours on it now w/ the 27h kohler. Last three or four times I shut it down it backfired. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Also, I purchased this unit from an exmark employee and wondered how I can transfer the warranty to my name (if I can).

One more question, is there really any advantage to starting the blades at half throttle either like it says? What does this help?

Any info would be helpful terry,---Otherwise I now mow 4 times the amout I could with my Husq. zero turn in the same time.

2. 94chevytruck

94chevytruck LawnSite Member

Firts off, engines, espicially small ones will usually back fire if they have not cooled down for a few mins, let it cool down and then shut it off. Some times back fire is from incorrect timing. But i think it is just not cooling down enough.
    Second. By engaging the blades at half throttle, you are not putting a big strain on the belts which streches them out. Engage them at half throttle and then speed up the trottle to the cutting speed.
  3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I have a 23 hp Z and if the throttle is less than full at shut down it will backfire every time, my dealer said there is a fuel shut down circut in the carb that only works at 3/4 -full throttle ...
    I used to engage the blades at 1/2-3/4 throttle but then the PTO went at 480 hours I have since engauged the blades at almost an idle speed and so far I have 910 hours on my second PTO....
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

move the throttle control to about 1/3 position and shut it down, that should eliminate the backfire. my walker used to do that all the time (it's a kohler thing). that or shut the fuel off and let it idle it all out (extra cool down time there also). just remember to turn the key off.