Backfire

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by onthesidelawncare, Aug 22, 2006.

1. onthesidelawncare

onthesidelawncare LawnSite Member
    from Jax. FL

Today my Z started to backfire when I shut er down, what could be some of the reasons behind this?

2. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

My JD 717a will do this if I shut it down without setting the brake, just as the owners's manual says it will.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hehe did it scare ya?

leave the throttle anywhere from 3/4 to full throttle when shutting down. Its has to do with the fuel shut off in the pump.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My Lazer us to do this when it was newer. Now it rarely does. Didn't hurt anything.

5. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

Did you let it idle first?

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Shut off the machine at full throttle and eliminate any chance of damage due to a backfire. Some people say that letting the machine idle will cool it off a little but I don't know about that on an air cooled engine. I haven't had any problem resulting from turning them off immediately at full throttle. But I am will to learn on the subject.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You need to let machine idle down first. If machine is working at 1/2 to full throttle and you just shut it down 90% of time it will backfire. Good Luck!!

8. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

If it is air cooled and you let it idle a few minutes before shut off, it will still backfire. Try full throttle shut off.

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob will tell him right. if its a Kohler you need to do what I said. Mine use to backfire all the time when I would let it idle then shut off. My old dealer told me to run it at 3/4 to full then shut off.
    But do what you want.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

This topic has been discussed quite often in the "repair" forums. If you don't like the 3/4 throttle technique, I used to let my Kohler idle at least 30 seconds (longer if I'd been working it extra hard), then turn it off. Never backfired when I did that. :)