Backfire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Mar 21, 2000.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I had a kohlor rep tell me to idle the engine all the way down for a minute "and then" rev it to half throttle just before shutting off. My Kohlor will still backfire if I shut it off at low idle. If do ot the way the rep says, then I get no backfire. None of my Kaw's seem to backfire.

2. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a 25 hp Kohler that does this. My mechanic told me to push it back to half throttle and cut it off. THis works!<br>

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler's manual on my 20 hp says to shut it off at 1/2 throttle... If in doubt read the manual for shut down procedures. I'm not sure on the Kawi's

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My new 23 kohler. Backfires no matter what you do. Not everytime but most of the time. I idle it down and it still backfires. But was told this was natural.

5. McLawn

McLawn LawnSite Member

If you shut down at 1/2 throttle you will not have a problem.

6. Fishbige

Fishbige Guest

As soon as you turn the key off, push the throtle wide open & it won't backfire.

7. Alan

Alan Member

For what it's worth, my 25 Kohler (Exmark Lazer Z) would backfire like you describe. I switched to Amsoil synthetic oil and the backfire stopped. I theorize that their claims about running cooler on synthetic oils is true and the reduced temperature makes the difference. Incidentally, the synthetic oil is getting once a season changes and is not cooking into a thick black goo in 250 hours of use. Guess it stands the heat just like they claim too.